Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Red Hat 7.0 & i8000 with inbuilt modem

  • Gary Herron
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
      Florent MANIN wrote:

      > Hi Gary,
      >
      > That's great. One thing, which option did you select when you
      > purchased your machine as for the NIC/Modem option (reference)?
      > Also i presume the NIC part works fine and it should be using the
      > eepro driver isn't it?
      > Thanks in advance for those usefull information.
      > Best Regards,

      Actually, I did not get any NIC/Modem card. I've go one form a previous
      laptop to use for now, and I plan on getting a wireless network soon.

      The modem to which I refer is the internal Lucent winmodem... the one
      with the phone jack on the right side near the front.

      When I do plug in my (very old) NIC/Modem card, the NIC part works fine
      (xircom or some such module) and the Modem on the card did not work but
      I stopped trying when I got the "linmodem" to work.

      --
      Dr. Gary Herron <gherron@...>
      206-287-5616
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
        Hi Gary,

        I have the same configuration I-8000 with builtin moden and 10/100.
        I am waiting for ur detailed steps on how to get the builtin modem working
        with RH7.0.

        Thanks,

        Hema
        --
        Hema Tahilramani Kaur
        JEC-6212, Electrical Computer and Systems Engg. Deptt

        Ph: 518 276 8289
        --

      • maclan@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 10, 2001
          Hey Man,

          I also bought a similar configuration from dell. In windows check
          and see if the modem is a LT winmodem. If that's correct then you
          are in luck. (Some people say that the combo card does not always
          use the Lucent winmodem chip) Goto this site:
          http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/ to get the drivers. Install
          the sppropriate one for you kernel. You'll be up and running in no
          time.

          I did it and my modem is functioning perfectly. My only problem not
          is finding a ISP that allows me to log in with Linux. It's no
          surprise that MSN doesn't.

          Hope this helps.

          Anthony

        • stuart@bh90210.net
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 22, 2001
            Linux/Dell Users:

            So if I understand things correctly:

            The combinational modem-ethernet which can be "built in" to the i8000
            (not a PCMCIA type device), is a Lucent based "winmodem", and an
            ethernet card predicated on a 3com chipset?

            Absent the most obvious linmodem problems, I understand the lucent
            driver works, I havent tested it yet, as I updating my kernel today
            in order to support it.

            Does the ethernet portion of this card get recognized and "driven"
            will for most of you?

            Stuart
            Beverly Hills, CA