Re: Dell Latitude 600 Will Not Get Onto Internet because of Wireless issue.

  • michaelzhao12
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
      <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

      > --- Chris Worley <chrisw@l...> wrote:
      >

      > > The $19 driver at linuxant.com seems to work well.
      > > There's an Open
      > > Source NDIS wrapper too, but I haven't tried it.
      > >
      > > On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 14:18, michaelzhao12 wrote:
      > > > I have a Dell Latitude 600 Laptop (D600) with a
      > > wireless B card (model
      > > > is Intel Pro Wireless 2100). Before, I had SuSE
      > > 7.2 Pro edition. It
      > > > didn't get onto to the Internet. The answer was
      > > because it did not
      > > > have a driver. For Christmas, I just got SUSE 9.1
      > > Pro edition. I
      > > > installed it promptly hoping the laptop will get
      > > onto the Internet. No
      > > > such luck. YAST recognizes the card and installed
      > > the drives, but I
      > > > don't know why it will not work.
      > > >
      > > > I have a Broadcom driver as well (wired) on eth1.
      > > The wireless card is
      > > > on eth0. The card works fine on my Windows XP Pro
      > > Partition. Just not
      > > > on SUSE 9.1. I love everything about SUSE 9.1, I
      > > really don't want to
      > > > use Windows.
      > > >
      > > > Please help me so I can experience Linux better!
      >
      > http://ipw2100.sf.net ... Linux Native straight from
      > Intel .

      I already have the driver though.
    • Michelle L. Gill
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005
        Michael,

        This problem could be a known DHCP bug which occurs when two
        different connections are attempting to use DHCP (i.e. wireless and
        ethernet cards). I had this problem on my Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop
        (Dell 3C920 Integrated Ethernet Controller and Intel PRO/Wireless
        2200BG card) running SuSE 9.2. The caveat (although I don't think
        this matters) is that the numbering is reversed--my ethernet card is
        eth0 and my wireless card is eth1. I could only get eth0 to connect
        to the internet, even if I tried to "force" the wireless connection
        (i.e. no ethernet cable connected and sitting right next to my
        wireless router). :)

        How have you verified that the card doesn't work? Are you watching
        the start up messages (i.e. assignment of an IP address to eth0 and
        eth1) or trying to surf the internet? I couldn't get an IP or use
        the internet when trying to use my wireless card BUT I could
        successfully ping another live IP address with it.

        If this is your problem, the solution is easy and is described at:
        http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/10/multi_dhcp_client.html

        Briefly, as superuser, you have to add the following line to the end
        of the file /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan-id-XXXXXXXXXXX:

        DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE=yes

        Then you have to type "rcnetwork restart" and you should see an IP
        address now assigned to the appropriate connection(s). If this
        works, you shouldn't have to type "rcnetwork restart" again the next
        time you reboot.

        Also make sure your other settings are correct. My file looks
        roughly like this:
        BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
        MTU=''
        REMOTE_IPADDR=''
        STARTMODE='auto'
        UNIQUE='QOEa.9LS7U1W0872'
        USERCONTROL='no'
        WIRELESS_AP=''
        WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='open'
        WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
        WIRELESS_CHANNEL=''
        WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
        WIRELESS_ESSID='INSERT_CASE_SENSITIVE_NETWORK_NAME_HERE'
        WIRELESS_FREQUENCY=''
        WIRELESS_KEY=''
        WIRELESS_KEY_0='INSERT_YOUR_WIRELESS_KEY_HERE'
        WIRELESS_KEY_1=''
        WIRELESS_KEY_2=''
        WIRELESS_KEY_3=''
        WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
        WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
        WIRELESS_NICK=''
        WIRELESS_NWID=''
        WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
        WIRELESS_WPA_PSK=''
        _nm_name='bus-pci-0000:02:03.0'
        DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE=yes

        I actually work on multiple wireless networks (home, work, etc.) so
        I keep separate backup files with the name appended (i.e.
        network_name.ifcfg-wlan-id-XXXXXXXXXXX) so I don't have to change
        the key and essid everytime. When I switch to a new network, I copy
        the appropriate file to ifcfg-wlan-id-XXXXXXXXXXX and type
        "rcnetwork restart". Not that hard.

        I haven't found any software which dynamically searches for and
        tries to configure wireless connections like Windoze has. I read
        there maybe something in the new Gnome desktop, but I'm a KDE fan.
        If anyone knows of a tool that does exist, by all means please clue
        me in!

        Hope this helps,
        Michelle Gill

        -- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "michaelzhao12"