Re: [linux-dell-laptops] WIFI card for Dell inspiron 8200 on Fedora core 3?

  • Robert P. J. Day
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
      On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, ooouio wrote:

      > I'm searching for a wifi card (pcmcia) for my Dell inspiron 8200.
      > I 'd tried an SMC 2835, but i couldn't find drivers for kernel 2.6.x

      i've used a linksys WPC11 V3 for well over a year now, and it works
      fine out of the box on my 8100 running fedora core 3.

      apparently, the V4 version of that card is not linux-compatible, so
      you really want to make sure you have a V3, unless things have changed
      lately.

      rday
    • Martin D. White
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005

        > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, ooouio wrote:
        >
        >> I'm searching for a wifi card (pcmcia) for my Dell inspiron 8200.
        >> I 'd tried an SMC 2835, but i couldn't find drivers for kernel 2.6.x
        >
        > i've used a linksys WPC11 V3 for well over a year now, and it works
        > fine out of the box on my 8100 running fedora core 3.
        >
        > apparently, the V4 version of that card is not linux-compatible, so
        > you really want to make sure you have a V3, unless things have changed
        > lately.

        I have the V4 version linksys pcmcia card and it works fine with the
        ndiswrapper and redhat 9.0.

        Martin D. White
        http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhite
      • Alexandre Tessier
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
          I've tried a netgear WG511 and it works out of the box with Mandrake
          kernel 2.6 (prism54 module). I've read that the netgear WG511T, 802.11
          B/G/SuperG, also works (madwifi driver).

          Alex.

          ooouio wrote:

          > Hi
          >
          > I'm searching for a wifi card (pcmcia) for my Dell inspiron 8200.
          > I 'd tried an SMC 2835, but i couldn't find drivers for kernel 2.6.x
          >
          > Have you some ideas?
          >
          > and ...Happy new year for all of you ;D

        • Dave Kristol
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "ooouio" <ooouio@y...> wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I'm searching for a wifi card (pcmcia) for my Dell inspiron 8200.
            > I 'd tried an SMC 2835, but i couldn't find drivers for kernel 2.6.x
            >
            > Have you some ideas?

            If they're still available, Dell's TrueMobile 1150 mini-PCI card works
            great in the i8200 (I have one) with FC3 out of the box. Best of all,
            it doesn't take a PC card slot. (It fits in a little pocket in the
            bottom of the machine.)

            Dave Kristol