WIFI card for Dell inspiron 8200 on Fedora core 3?

  • ooouio
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
      Hi

      I'm searching for a wifi card (pcmcia) for my Dell inspiron 8200.
      I 'd tried an SMC 2835, but i couldn't find drivers for kernel 2.6.x

      Have you some ideas?

      and ...Happy new year for all of you ;D
    • Robert P. J. Day
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005
        On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, ooouio wrote:

        > I'm searching for a wifi card (pcmcia) for my Dell inspiron 8200.
        > I 'd tried an SMC 2835, but i couldn't find drivers for kernel 2.6.x

        i've used a linksys WPC11 V3 for well over a year now, and it works
        fine out of the box on my 8100 running fedora core 3.

        apparently, the V4 version of that card is not linux-compatible, so
        you really want to make sure you have a V3, unless things have changed
        lately.

        rday
      • Martin D. White
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2005

          > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, ooouio wrote:
          >
          >> I'm searching for a wifi card (pcmcia) for my Dell inspiron 8200.
          >> I 'd tried an SMC 2835, but i couldn't find drivers for kernel 2.6.x
          >
          > i've used a linksys WPC11 V3 for well over a year now, and it works
          > fine out of the box on my 8100 running fedora core 3.
          >
          > apparently, the V4 version of that card is not linux-compatible, so
          > you really want to make sure you have a V3, unless things have changed
          > lately.

          I have the V4 version linksys pcmcia card and it works fine with the
          ndiswrapper and redhat 9.0.

          Martin D. White
          http://www.mindspring.com/~martinwhite
        • Alexandre Tessier
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
            I've tried a netgear WG511 and it works out of the box with Mandrake
            kernel 2.6 (prism54 module). I've read that the netgear WG511T, 802.11
            B/G/SuperG, also works (madwifi driver).

            Alex.

            ooouio wrote:

            > Hi
            >
            > I'm searching for a wifi card (pcmcia) for my Dell inspiron 8200.
            > I 'd tried an SMC 2835, but i couldn't find drivers for kernel 2.6.x
            >
            > Have you some ideas?
            >
            > and ...Happy new year for all of you ;D

          • Dave Kristol
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 4, 2005
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "ooouio" <ooouio@y...> wrote:

              > Hi
              >
              > I'm searching for a wifi card (pcmcia) for my Dell inspiron 8200.
              > I 'd tried an SMC 2835, but i couldn't find drivers for kernel 2.6.x
              >
              > Have you some ideas?

              If they're still available, Dell's TrueMobile 1150 mini-PCI card works
              great in the i8200 (I have one) with FC3 out of the box. Best of all,
              it doesn't take a PC card slot. (It fits in a little pocket in the
              bottom of the machine.)

              Dave Kristol