Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Inspiron 7000 easiest Linux to install

  • Alan Pope
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2004
      On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 13:46:39 -0000, Nick Braybrooke
      <nickbraybrooke@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I am new and wanted ask some questions. 1. What is the easiest
      > Linux to install in an I7000 so I can learn Linux? 2. I am installing
      > a wireless LAN at home does Linux support this capability?

      I use Debian myself on my laptops and would highly recommend it. The
      "sarge" or "testing" installer is very nice and pretty easy to
      install. If you have a high speed internet connection you only need to
      download the first cd, and the rest installs from the internet. I use
      debian "unstable" on my desktop machines which means I have access to
      lots of more up to date packages than are in "testing/sarge".

      Alternatively I'd recommend Ubuntu as it's also easy to install. It's
      quite new though so that may put you off.

      Final option if you don't fancy either of those would be Fedora. It's
      easy to install like Mandrake and has lots of apps available in it's
      repositories.

      All of them can be downloaded from http://www.linuxiso.org/ as ISO
      images which you can burn to CD.

      I'd recommend setting aside some time to play with all of them to be
      honest, and stick with whichever one *you* are happy with. People can
      recommend distros to you, but in the end it's you that uses it daily,
      so you need to be happy with it.

      Cheers,
      Al.