Dell Latitude 600 Will Not Get Onto Internet because of Wireless issue.

  • michaelzhao12
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
      I have a Dell Latitude 600 Laptop (D600) with a wireless B card (model
      is Intel Pro Wireless 2100). Before, I had SuSE 7.2 Pro edition. It
      didn't get onto to the Internet. The answer was because it did not
      have a driver. For Christmas, I just got SUSE 9.1 Pro edition. I
      installed it promptly hoping the laptop will get onto the Internet. No
      such luck. YAST recognizes the card and installed the drives, but I
      don't know why it will not work.

      I have a Broadcom driver as well (wired) on eth1. The wireless card is
      on eth0. The card works fine on my Windows XP Pro Partition. Just not
      on SUSE 9.1. I love everything about SUSE 9.1, I really don't want to
      use Windows.

      Please help me so I can experience Linux better!

      -Michael Zhao
    • Chris Worley
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
        The $19 driver at linuxant.com seems to work well. There's an Open
        Source NDIS wrapper too, but I haven't tried it.

        On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 14:18, michaelzhao12 wrote:
        > I have a Dell Latitude 600 Laptop (D600) with a wireless B card (model
        > is Intel Pro Wireless 2100). Before, I had SuSE 7.2 Pro edition. It
        > didn't get onto to the Internet. The answer was because it did not
        > have a driver. For Christmas, I just got SUSE 9.1 Pro edition. I
        > installed it promptly hoping the laptop will get onto the Internet. No
        > such luck. YAST recognizes the card and installed the drives, but I
        > don't know why it will not work.
        >
        > I have a Broadcom driver as well (wired) on eth1. The wireless card is
        > on eth0. The card works fine on my Windows XP Pro Partition. Just not
        > on SUSE 9.1. I love everything about SUSE 9.1, I really don't want to
        > use Windows.
        >
        > Please help me so I can experience Linux better!
        >
        > -Michael Zhao

      • Haedn Thorn
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
          --- Chris Worley <chrisw@...> wrote:

          > The $19 driver at linuxant.com seems to work well.
          > There's an Open
          > Source NDIS wrapper too, but I haven't tried it.
          >
          > On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 14:18, michaelzhao12 wrote:
          > > I have a Dell Latitude 600 Laptop (D600) with a
          > wireless B card (model
          > > is Intel Pro Wireless 2100). Before, I had SuSE
          > 7.2 Pro edition. It
          > > didn't get onto to the Internet. The answer was
          > because it did not
          > > have a driver. For Christmas, I just got SUSE 9.1
          > Pro edition. I
          > > installed it promptly hoping the laptop will get
          > onto the Internet. No
          > > such luck. YAST recognizes the card and installed
          > the drives, but I
          > > don't know why it will not work.
          > >
          > > I have a Broadcom driver as well (wired) on eth1.
          > The wireless card is
          > > on eth0. The card works fine on my Windows XP Pro
          > Partition. Just not
          > > on SUSE 9.1. I love everything about SUSE 9.1, I
          > really don't want to
          > > use Windows.
          > >
          > > Please help me so I can experience Linux better!

          http://ipw2100.sf.net ... Linux Native straight from
          Intel .
        • michaelzhao12
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 3, 2005
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Haedn Thorn
            <lordhaedn@y...> wrote:

            > --- Chris Worley <chrisw@l...> wrote:
            >

            > > The $19 driver at linuxant.com seems to work well.
            > > There's an Open
            > > Source NDIS wrapper too, but I haven't tried it.
            > >
            > > On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 14:18, michaelzhao12 wrote:
            > > > I have a Dell Latitude 600 Laptop (D600) with a
            > > wireless B card (model
            > > > is Intel Pro Wireless 2100). Before, I had SuSE
            > > 7.2 Pro edition. It
            > > > didn't get onto to the Internet. The answer was
            > > because it did not
            > > > have a driver. For Christmas, I just got SUSE 9.1
            > > Pro edition. I
            > > > installed it promptly hoping the laptop will get
            > > onto the Internet. No
            > > > such luck. YAST recognizes the card and installed
            > > the drives, but I
            > > > don't know why it will not work.
            > > >
            > > > I have a Broadcom driver as well (wired) on eth1.
            > > The wireless card is
            > > > on eth0. The card works fine on my Windows XP Pro
            > > Partition. Just not
            > > > on SUSE 9.1. I love everything about SUSE 9.1, I
            > > really don't want to
            > > > use Windows.
            > > >
            > > > Please help me so I can experience Linux better!
            >
            > http://ipw2100.sf.net ... Linux Native straight from
            > Intel .

            I already have the driver though.
          • Michelle L. Gill
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2005
              Michael,

              This problem could be a known DHCP bug which occurs when two
              different connections are attempting to use DHCP (i.e. wireless and
              ethernet cards). I had this problem on my Dell Inspiron 4150 laptop
              (Dell 3C920 Integrated Ethernet Controller and Intel PRO/Wireless
              2200BG card) running SuSE 9.2. The caveat (although I don't think
              this matters) is that the numbering is reversed--my ethernet card is
              eth0 and my wireless card is eth1. I could only get eth0 to connect
              to the internet, even if I tried to "force" the wireless connection
              (i.e. no ethernet cable connected and sitting right next to my
              wireless router). :)

              How have you verified that the card doesn't work? Are you watching
              the start up messages (i.e. assignment of an IP address to eth0 and
              eth1) or trying to surf the internet? I couldn't get an IP or use
              the internet when trying to use my wireless card BUT I could
              successfully ping another live IP address with it.

              If this is your problem, the solution is easy and is described at:
              http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2002/10/multi_dhcp_client.html

              Briefly, as superuser, you have to add the following line to the end
              of the file /etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan-id-XXXXXXXXXXX:

              DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE=yes

              Then you have to type "rcnetwork restart" and you should see an IP
              address now assigned to the appropriate connection(s). If this
              works, you shouldn't have to type "rcnetwork restart" again the next
              time you reboot.

              Also make sure your other settings are correct. My file looks
              roughly like this:
              BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
              MTU=''
              REMOTE_IPADDR=''
              STARTMODE='auto'
              UNIQUE='QOEa.9LS7U1W0872'
              USERCONTROL='no'
              WIRELESS_AP=''
              WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='open'
              WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
              WIRELESS_CHANNEL=''
              WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
              WIRELESS_ESSID='INSERT_CASE_SENSITIVE_NETWORK_NAME_HERE'
              WIRELESS_FREQUENCY=''
              WIRELESS_KEY=''
              WIRELESS_KEY_0='INSERT_YOUR_WIRELESS_KEY_HERE'
              WIRELESS_KEY_1=''
              WIRELESS_KEY_2=''
              WIRELESS_KEY_3=''
              WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
              WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
              WIRELESS_NICK=''
              WIRELESS_NWID=''
              WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
              WIRELESS_WPA_PSK=''
              _nm_name='bus-pci-0000:02:03.0'
              DHCLIENT_PRIMARY_DEVICE=yes

              I actually work on multiple wireless networks (home, work, etc.) so
              I keep separate backup files with the name appended (i.e.
              network_name.ifcfg-wlan-id-XXXXXXXXXXX) so I don't have to change
              the key and essid everytime. When I switch to a new network, I copy
              the appropriate file to ifcfg-wlan-id-XXXXXXXXXXX and type
              "rcnetwork restart". Not that hard.

              I haven't found any software which dynamically searches for and
              tries to configure wireless connections like Windoze has. I read
              there maybe something in the new Gnome desktop, but I'm a KDE fan.
              If anyone knows of a tool that does exist, by all means please clue
              me in!

              Hope this helps,
              Michelle Gill

              -- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "michaelzhao12"