Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Inspiron 4000 Touch Pad

  • P S Moulson
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
      Most times when I boot Mandrake 7.2 on my Inspiron 5000e I my processor
      correctly gets identified as a 697 MHz Pentium III, but perhaps 1 in 4
      times it claims I have a 597 MHz Pentium III (or maybe 567 MHz, or
      something similar I can't remember at the mo).

      Why is this happening? Anyone else experience this? Anyone fixed this?

      Cheers

      Paul

      --
    • Michel Berkelaar
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
        You're not by any chance running on battery when you get the lower
        number :-)

        It probably really runs slower on battery.

        Michel

        P S Moulson wrote:

        > Most times when I boot Mandrake 7.2 on my Inspiron 5000e I my processor
        > correctly gets identified as a 697 MHz Pentium III, but perhaps 1 in 4
        > times it claims I have a 597 MHz Pentium III (or maybe 567 MHz, or
        > something similar I can't remember at the mo).
        >
        > Why is this happening? Anyone else experience this? Anyone fixed this?
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > Paul

      • Richard Simpson
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
          On Fri, 02 Feb 2001, you wrote:
          >Most times when I boot Mandrake 7.2 on my Inspiron 5000e I my processor
          >correctly gets identified as a 697 MHz Pentium III, but perhaps 1 in 4
          >times it claims I have a 597 MHz Pentium III (or maybe 567 MHz, or
          >something similar I can't remember at the mo).

          Is it possible that the lower speed is reported when you boot whilst running
          from batteries? You Pentium III has this SpeedStep technology which reduces
          clock speed to save power when running from batteries.

          Richard Simpson
          Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
          rsimpson@...