Re: Inspiron 4000 Touch Pad

  • dharris@arsdigita.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
      As the web page explains, you can't run tpconfig under X unless you
      patch the kernel... in fact, you can't even "tpconfig --help" to see
      the usage message.

      But, if you're crafty, you use the strings command:

      % strings /usr/bin/tpconfig | less

      and scroll through this to see the args.

      That said... I still can't get middle-mouse button functionality! It's
      driving me batty because I can't paste.

      I currently have the touchpad startup script doing:

      tpconfig --two-button -c=1 -m

      (I want corner taps to do middle button work)

      Any ideas?

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Juan Sanchez <jsanchez@t...> wrote:
      > Does anyone know what the different tapmode do. It doesn't seem to
      be
      > documented. The startup script works fine, but it seems like if I
      double
      > touch the pad, it is interpreted as a click.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Juan
      >
      > Rob Yale wrote:
      >
      > > Juan,
      > >
      > > Go here http://compass.com/tpconfig/ and read the information
      posted.
      > > 'tpconfig' will allow you to customize your trackpad behaviour. I
      did
      > > have to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.18, though. If you have any
      problems,
      > > drop me a line.
      > >
      > > Rob Yale

    • P S Moulson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
        Most times when I boot Mandrake 7.2 on my Inspiron 5000e I my processor
        correctly gets identified as a 697 MHz Pentium III, but perhaps 1 in 4
        times it claims I have a 597 MHz Pentium III (or maybe 567 MHz, or
        something similar I can't remember at the mo).

        Why is this happening? Anyone else experience this? Anyone fixed this?

        Cheers

        Paul

        --
      • Michel Berkelaar
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 4, 2001
          You're not by any chance running on battery when you get the lower
          number :-)

          It probably really runs slower on battery.

          Michel

          P S Moulson wrote:

          > Most times when I boot Mandrake 7.2 on my Inspiron 5000e I my processor
          > correctly gets identified as a 697 MHz Pentium III, but perhaps 1 in 4
          > times it claims I have a 597 MHz Pentium III (or maybe 567 MHz, or
          > something similar I can't remember at the mo).
          >
          > Why is this happening? Anyone else experience this? Anyone fixed this?
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > Paul

        • Richard Simpson
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 7, 2001
            On Fri, 02 Feb 2001, you wrote:
            >Most times when I boot Mandrake 7.2 on my Inspiron 5000e I my processor
            >correctly gets identified as a 697 MHz Pentium III, but perhaps 1 in 4
            >times it claims I have a 597 MHz Pentium III (or maybe 567 MHz, or
            >something similar I can't remember at the mo).

            Is it possible that the lower speed is reported when you boot whilst running
            from batteries? You Pentium III has this SpeedStep technology which reduces
            clock speed to save power when running from batteries.

            Richard Simpson
            Farnborough, Hants, Uk Fax: 01252 392976
            rsimpson@...