Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 1952

  • Irlandes
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 25, 2004
      >>actually i m getting internet connection through a external moden
      (through cable net) which shows me the very high bandwith
      utilization even while i m not using any internet application.
      So i think this is any sort of attack by any user on LAN i.e ICMP or
      etc . so tell me how can i identify and block that port and ip
      address.
      thanx

      Ethereal is a package which comes, for example, with Mandrake 10.1. It is a sniffer, that is, it looks at web traffic, either dial-up or nic, and decodes it. I am not sure how much it will help you, but it is a starting place. If it is not on your distro, it is availlable via download for both Win and linux, in varous forms.

      Next, do you have a firewall installed? Some distros include shorewall, and when you install, at least on SuSe and Mandrake, you are given the choice to set it up more or less automatically when you install. I think another firewall available for download is Smoothwall, if you have fast Internet.

      You have not said what machine or laptop you are running, so if you have wandered in for other reasons, the correct firewall for Windows is called ZoneAlarm, also available free for personal use. It has the advantage that it shows IP for any attempt to invade, maybe shorewall dies, too, but I don't know how tomake it do that.

      Another tip for all OS. Google for ShieldsUp and run a port analysis. With any good firewall, you should only be visible when you request an input, the rest of the time you should be invisible.

      In any case, the basic answer to your question is to install a firewall and it takes care of this sort of problem. If you commnuicate furtherk please state machine and distro/version for more useful help..