8000 + LINUX + W2K = many issues I need advice on

  • stuart@bh90210.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
      Dell Users:

      Recently (due to multiple repairs), Dell choose to swap out my
      system, and they upgraded me in the process. I used to have a 7500,
      now I am running an 8000 (as of today). That being said, here are my
      concerns:

      (old) 7500 Configuration: 1400x1050 LCD, ATI RAGE 3D (8MB)
      I had RH 6.2 with X 3.3.6 running on it okay.

      (new) 8000:

      now has a Sony DVD/CD-RW on it (did not have it before)
      now has an "M4" ATI chipset (32MB)

      RH = RedHat

      1) I want to get RH running with X on the 8000, am I best served to
      upgrade to RH 7 (in order to get X 4 as well), what are the caveats
      to doing such an upgrade? What are the RH7 problems that are big
      right now?

      2) I have W2K and Linux installed right now, Linux first in a primary
      partition, followed by W2K in an extended. The primary is 9GB in
      length. I was told "it would never work with W2K installed second",
      but somehow I got it going against popular beleive.

      What is the best way to have W2K and Linux installed? What types of
      partitions, the order, etc.?

      3) How hard is it for RH7 to support the ATI M4?
      4) How hard is it for RH7 to support the audio hardware in the 8000?

      Any other items I ought be aware of?

      I am running A02 BIOS in the 8000, its also a 1400x1050 LCD.

      Stuart
      Beverly Hills, CA
    • hughesi@trellick.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2001
        I have an i8k and it works fantastically dual-booting into w2k, winME
        and RH70 no problems..

        X works fine 'out-of-the-box', I have a few minor issues with the
        soundcard, but apart from that its a breeze to install.

        BUT...check out, the following web link, for full and much more
        detailed information.

        http://orion.chem.vt.edu/i8000/

        Simon