Re: Red Hat 7.0 & i8000 with inbuilt modem

  • Florent MANIN
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
      Hi Gary,

      That's great. One thing, which option did you select when you
      purchased your machine as for the NIC/Modem option (reference)?
      Also i presume the NIC part works fine and it should be using the
      eepro driver isn't it?
      Thanks in advance for those usefull information.
      Best Regards,

      Florent.

    • wtellmewhy@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
        Yes ,
        I have choosed the modem + mini 10/100 card.
        Linux detects card eepro card.
        -bhandari
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., "Florent MANIN" <f_manin@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Gary,
        >
        > That's great. One thing, which option did you select when you
        > purchased your machine as for the NIC/Modem option (reference)?
        > Also i presume the NIC part works fine and it should be using the
        > eepro driver isn't it?
        > Thanks in advance for those usefull information.
        > Best Regards,
        >
        > Florent.
        >

        > --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Gary Herron <gherron@a...> wrote:
        > > bhandari_mohi@h... wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hi,
        > > > I have Dell i 8000 with built-in modem + 10/100 card.
        > > > I have loaded redhat 7.0 in it .
        > > > I made most of things operational except Modem & DVD palyer
        Part.
        > > > can any buddy help me out in that.
        > > > Remeber It is not PCMCI--It is integrated.
        > >
        > > I just got the modem working lastnight. It is a winmodem, so I
        > didn't
        > > expect much, but it is a Lucent, and people have been working on
        the
        > > half-open-source half-closed-source driver for it. It works
        > beautifully
        > > and puts an almost unmeasurable load on the CPU even though the
        CPU
        > is
        > > doing all the control.
        > >
        > > Tonight I'll review my downloads and various steps in getting it
        > > work, and post the instructions.
        > >
        > > Hang on ...
        > >
        > > --
        > > Dr. Gary Herron <gherron@a...>
        > > 206-287-5616
        > > Alias | Wavefront
        > > 1218 3rd Ave, Suite 800, Seattle WA 98101
      • Gary Herron
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
          Florent MANIN wrote:

          > Hi Gary,
          >
          > That's great. One thing, which option did you select when you
          > purchased your machine as for the NIC/Modem option (reference)?
          > Also i presume the NIC part works fine and it should be using the
          > eepro driver isn't it?
          > Thanks in advance for those usefull information.
          > Best Regards,

          Actually, I did not get any NIC/Modem card. I've go one form a previous
          laptop to use for now, and I plan on getting a wireless network soon.

          The modem to which I refer is the internal Lucent winmodem... the one
          with the phone jack on the right side near the front.

          When I do plug in my (very old) NIC/Modem card, the NIC part works fine
          (xircom or some such module) and the Modem on the card did not work but
          I stopped trying when I got the "linmodem" to work.

          --
          Dr. Gary Herron <gherron@...>
          206-287-5616
          Alias | Wavefront
          1218 3rd Ave, Suite 800, Seattle WA 98101
        • Hema Tahilramani Kaur
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2001
            Hi Gary,

            I have the same configuration I-8000 with builtin moden and 10/100.
            I am waiting for ur detailed steps on how to get the builtin modem working
            with RH7.0.

            Thanks,

            Hema
            --
            Hema Tahilramani Kaur
            JEC-6212, Electrical Computer and Systems Engg. Deptt

            Ph: 518 276 8289
            --

          • maclan@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 10, 2001
              Hey Man,

              I also bought a similar configuration from dell. In windows check
              and see if the modem is a LT winmodem. If that's correct then you
              are in luck. (Some people say that the combo card does not always
              use the Lucent winmodem chip) Goto this site:
              http://walbran.org/sean/linux/stodolsk/ to get the drivers. Install
              the sppropriate one for you kernel. You'll be up and running in no
              time.

              I did it and my modem is functioning perfectly. My only problem not
              is finding a ISP that allows me to log in with Linux. It's no
              surprise that MSN doesn't.

              Hope this helps.

              Anthony

            • stuart@bh90210.net
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 22, 2001
                Linux/Dell Users:

                So if I understand things correctly:

                The combinational modem-ethernet which can be "built in" to the i8000
                (not a PCMCIA type device), is a Lucent based "winmodem", and an
                ethernet card predicated on a 3com chipset?

                Absent the most obvious linmodem problems, I understand the lucent
                driver works, I havent tested it yet, as I updating my kernel today
                in order to support it.

                Does the ethernet portion of this card get recognized and "driven"
                will for most of you?

                Stuart
                Beverly Hills, CA