Re: [linux-dell-laptops] couple questions about inspiron 9200

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 8, 2004
      --- "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@...> wrote:

      > hmmm ... i didn't see that nvidia was even an option
      > with the 9200.
      > if you check the web page, it seems hardcoded to the
      > ATI radeon 9700.
      > are you saying there's a choice?

      There is probably another model with similar options
      but with an nVidia chipset ... There are always
      trade-offs ... In my case it was between the 600m
      (with ATi) and the 8600. If the only difference was
      the video, I would have gone with the 8600 without
      hesitation. But the 8600 is also about 50% heavier and
      a bit larger... Portability as well as battery life
      were big factors for me since I carry this thing
      almost everywhere!
    • R Stewart
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 9, 2004
        It's definitely worth the short term investment of getting the 512 MB
        as a single DIMM. That's what I did, and so far the performance with
        512 MB is perfectly acceptable. I'll probably add another 512 MB DIMM
        or a 1 GB DIMM in the next 12 months, though.

        I would recommend the faster drive, too. In addition to the fact that
        you said in another post that you keep it plugged into the wall most of
        the time, the 9200 (is that the weight in grams?) has the heft of a
        mid-size bowling ball because the battery is quite large. You will
        still get good battery life with a 7200 rpm drive. I get 4+ hours out
        of my 8600 with a 7200 rpm drive.

        Speaking of which, I bought a Hitachi TravelStar 7200 rpm 60 GB drive
        from NewEgg for about $150, replaced the built-in Hitachi TravelStar
        5400 rpm 40 GB drive, and put the 40 GB drive in a USB 2.5" hard drive
        enclosure that I bought online for less than $20. The portable drive is
        very useful for quickly moving big files between the four different
        computers I regularly use in different locations. It's also nice to be
        able to bring along a bunch of extra movies when I travel.

        For regular usage with FC3, the ATI 9600 card in my laptop works fine.
        I haven't tried installing the proprietray ATI driver, yet, so that I
        can play UT2004. Supposedly, ATI will be releasing a new driver this
        month that is compatible with xorg 6.8. The current requires xorg 6.7.

        Robert

        --- "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@...> wrote:

        > i'm getting close to finalizing my choices for a 9200, and i was
        > interested in feedback on the following:
        >
        > first, my current 8100 has 512M RAM, and i know that more RAM
        > generally equates to better performance. since i'm not quite ready
        > spring for 1G RAM, i decided a good compromise would be to spend the
        > extra $50 US and get a single DIMM of 512M. then i can always
        > upgrade
        > down the road with another 512M if i want in that open slot. seems
        > like the happy medium for now.
        >
        > next, re: disk speed, i wasn't sure it was worth the extra $100 US
        > for the 7200 RPM 60G drive versus the regular one, but i only now
        > noticed that the regular drives are 4200 RPM. i'd thought they were
        > 5400 RPM, but now, i'm thinking that it might just be worth the extra
        > cash to make the big jump up to the faster drive. anyone have
        > experience with the 7200 RPM drives? good stories? bad stories?
        >
        > dang, i just noticed there's now a 2.1GHz option for CPU, but i'm
        > going to save a few bucks and go with 1.8GHz. i can't imagine my CPU
        > is going to be the bottleneck here.
        >
        > i've heard some disturbing stories on the fedora list regarding
        > problems with ATI cards. comments on how well linux (specifically
        > fedora core 3) deals with the ATI mobility radeon 9700?
        >
        > guess i better order the carrying case. i don't think a regular
        > targus bag is going to work here, is it? :-)
        >
        > thanks for any info.
        >
        > rday

        > --------------------~-->
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/s5T0lB/TM

        The all-new My Yahoo! - Get yours free!
        http://my.yahoo.com
      • Peter Teuben
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 9, 2004
          On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, R Stewart wrote:

          > It's definitely worth the short term investment of getting the 512 MB
          > as a single DIMM. That's what I did, and so far the performance with
          > 512 MB is perfectly acceptable. I'll probably add another 512 MB DIMM
          > or a 1 GB DIMM in the next 12 months, though.
          >
          > I would recommend the faster drive, too. In addition to the fact that
          > you said in another post that you keep it plugged into the wall most of
          > the time, the 9200 (is that the weight in grams?) has the heft of a
          > mid-size bowling ball because the battery is quite large. You will
          > still get good battery life with a 7200 rpm drive. I get 4+ hours out
          > of my 8600 with a 7200 rpm drive.

          wow, is that 4+ hours on 1 battery? I have the 8200, and have batteries.
          Rated to go or 6:30, but one battery is already in bad shape and after
          a smooth 4 hour sailing it suddenly starts dropping like crazy and perhaps
          i get 4:15 or 4:30, but that's 2 batteries.

          > Speaking of which, I bought a Hitachi TravelStar 7200 rpm 60 GB drive
          > from NewEgg for about $150, replaced the built-in Hitachi TravelStar
          > 5400 rpm 40 GB drive, and put the 40 GB drive in a USB 2.5" hard drive
          > enclosure that I bought online for less than $20. The portable drive is
          > very useful for quickly moving big files between the four different
          > computers I regularly use in different locations. It's also nice to be
          > able to bring along a bunch of extra movies when I travel.

          I usually test speed with hdparm, but I've not been impressed with the speed
          advantage. Real time performance is a different matter, but I don't have
          any hard evidence on it.

          As for the enclosure, i did basically the same thing. The furstrating thing is
          that USB is 1.1 on my machine and useless, but I have firewire, and it's
          actually faster (according to hdparm) than the internal drive!!!! The
          external enclosure needs to be powered thogh, or via a USB->power cable
          that came with the enclosure. I found out that the USB port on the 8200 doesn't
          give enough juice to power up the HD. It's quite scary to listen to the sawtooth
          noise as it tried to come up, and then stops when it reaches the maximum but
          not being enogh to spin it...

          - peter
        • R Stewart
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 9, 2004
            > wow, is that 4+ hours on 1 battery? I have the 8200, and have
            > batteries.

            Yes. I was pretty amazed. I used to have a high end ThinkPad, but it
            didn't have nearly as long battery life. Of course, the ThinkPad also
            weighed 3 pounds less. I realize the battery life diminishes over time,
            but I'll enjoy the honeymoon while I can.

            > I found out that the USB port on the
            > 8200 doesn't
            > give enough juice to power up the HD.

            Sorry to hear about that. I guess I'm lucky that my 8600 has USB 2.0
            and is able to power the drive without problems. The enclosure does
            require the use of both USB ports to get enough power, though.

            Robert

            --- Peter Teuben <teuben@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > the speed
            > advantage. Real time performance is a different matter, but I don't
            > have
            > any hard evidence on it.
            >
            > As for the enclosure, i did basically the same thing. The furstrating
            > thing is
            > that USB is 1.1 on my machine and useless, but I have firewire, and
            > it's
            > actually faster (according to hdparm) than the internal drive!!!!
            > The
            > external enclosure needs to be powered thogh, or via a USB->power
            > cable
            > that came with the enclosure. I found out that the USB port on the
            > 8200 doesn't
            > give enough juice to power up the HD. It's quite scary to listen to
            > the sawtooth
            > noise as it tried to come up, and then stops when it reaches the

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • Robert P. J. Day
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 10, 2004
              On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Peter Teuben wrote:

              > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, R Stewart wrote:

              > > I would recommend the faster drive, too. In addition to the fact that
              > > you said in another post that you keep it plugged into the wall most of
              > > the time, the 9200 (is that the weight in grams?) has the heft of a
              > > mid-size bowling ball because the battery is quite large. You will
              > > still get good battery life with a 7200 rpm drive. I get 4+ hours out
              > > of my 8600 with a 7200 rpm drive.

              final question about the faster drives. any thoughts on:

              1) reliability?
              2) noise?

              it may be irrational, but i just assume that a faster drive will be
              more inherently unreliable and failure-prone than a slower drive. or
              is that even an issue anymore?

              at the moment, the pricing for the hard drive for the 9200 is kind of
              funky: normally, there's a $100 diff between the 4200 RPM and 7200
              RPM 60G drives. however, there's a free 40->60G upgrade so, in fact,
              this represents a $149 difference between the two 60G drives. and i
              have to ask, is the extra speed worth $149?

              my thought here is that, since i have an inspiron 8100 with a 48G
              drive that's at least a couple years old, i might go for the regular
              speed 4200 RPM 60G drive to take advantage of the free upgrade, and
              then consider swapping that drive out and into my 8100 to get a newer
              larger drive in that one and buying a fast 60G drive somewhere on the
              net for the 9200 down the road.

              so ... what are the recommendations for good places to buy fast
              notebook drives that would fit a 9200? thanks.

              rday
            • Robert P. J. Day
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 10, 2004
                On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Peter Teuben wrote:

                > On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, R Stewart wrote:

                > > Speaking of which, I bought a Hitachi TravelStar 7200 rpm 60 GB drive
                > > from NewEgg for about $150, replaced the built-in Hitachi TravelStar
                > > 5400 rpm 40 GB drive, ...

                ah, i missed that the first time. but newegg.com doesn't show any 60G
                fast drives, just the 40G drives. dang.

                rday
              • R Stewart
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 10, 2004
                  The bizarre thing is that they do have it, you just can't find it by
                  searching on their website.

                  I found it by searching on a price comparison site. You can get to the
                  link via DealTime. Look on the following page for NewEgg.

                  http://www.dealtime.com/xPO-Hitachi_TravelStar_7K60_60_GB_08K0939

                  It was $144 there when I last looked.

                  FYI, make sure you get the 7K60 and not the E7K60. The E7K60 is a
                  desktop/server drive in a small form factor. It won't spin down to save
                  power.

                  Robert

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 10, 2004
                    The 60 GB 7200 RPM Travelstar is no noisier than the original 5400 RPM
                    drive in my I8600. As for your concerns about rotational speed, you can
                    now get 15,000 RPM drives, although I don't think as 2.5" drives. I
                    don't think the rotational speed difference in going up to 7200 RPM is
                    likely to have a significant impact on reliability (but I didn't do a
                    scientific study, so what do I know).

                    But, the speed difference is definitely not worth $149. Even $100 would
                    be pushing it, especially for the same-sized drive.

                    Robert

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 11, 2004
                      On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, R Stewart wrote:

                      > The 60 GB 7200 RPM Travelstar is no noisier than the original 5400 RPM
                      > drive in my I8600. As for your concerns about rotational speed, you can
                      > now get 15,000 RPM drives, although I don't think as 2.5" drives. I
                      > don't think the rotational speed difference in going up to 7200 RPM is
                      > likely to have a significant impact on reliability (but I didn't do a
                      > scientific study, so what do I know).
                      >
                      > But, the speed difference is definitely not worth $149. Even $100 would
                      > be pushing it, especially for the same-sized drive.

                      i didn't think so, so given that an upgrade from a 4200 RPM 60G drive
                      to a 7200 RPM 60G drive effectively costs $149 in building the system,
                      it obviously makes more sense to just get the slower drive in the
                      system, and buy the faster drive online.

                      weirdly, that means that instead of spending $149 extra for a single
                      60G fast drive, i'd only spend $144 extra and get *both* a slow and
                      fast 60G drive. cool. can't beat that as a bargain.

                      rday
                    • Robert P. J. Day
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 11, 2004
                        On Fri, 10 Dec 2004, R Stewart wrote:

                        > The 60 GB 7200 RPM Travelstar is no noisier than the original 5400 RPM
                        > drive in my I8600. As for your concerns about rotational speed, you can
                        > now get 15,000 RPM drives, although I don't think as 2.5" drives. I
                        > don't think the rotational speed difference in going up to 7200 RPM is
                        > likely to have a significant impact on reliability (but I didn't do a
                        > scientific study, so what do I know).
                        >
                        > But, the speed difference is definitely not worth $149. Even $100 would
                        > be pushing it, especially for the same-sized drive.

                        final resolution. rather than paying $149US for the 60G 4200->7200
                        RPM hard drive upgrade (based on the current special online at dell),
                        i configured the system with the slower drive and ordered the fast one
                        separately from newegg. total cost of additional drive from newegg,
                        including all taxes and shipping: $148.84US.

                        yes, i saved 16 cents, and got a free 4200 RPM 60G drive thrown in.

                        rday