Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Dell Inspiron 9100 WSXGA and Ubuntu/Debian

  • ken
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
      froogleuk wrote:

      >Hey all,
      >
      >I've been having a nightmare time getting my Dell Inspiron to work
      >with X at the correct resolution (1680x1050). I've managed to get
      >the latest ATI drivers downloaded, compiled and installed, so I'm
      >running X against the fglrx driver. I've also tried the "ati" driver
      >(I'm in XFree 4 by the way) but X won't even start with that and
      >crashes out saying No devices detected.
      >
      >SO, has anyone out there, with this screen, managed to get X working
      >on Debian or Ubuntu at 1680x1050 resolution?
      >
      >PEte

      The first thing to do is to get X working at *any* resolution. After
      that you can tweak it for the desired resolution. Moreover, if the
      video device isn't detected, you're not going to be able to get X going
      at all. Have you checked the log files?

      hth,
      ken

      --
      Reality is complicated.
      Bush is simple.
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
        Thanks.

        Yes, I had X working with both the Vesa and the fglrx drivers without
        any problems. The problems kicked in when I tried to use a very
        specific resolution (1680x1050). XFree just wouldn't have it with any
        of the drivers insisting in all cases that there was no such mode.

        I've now upgraded to XOrg and it's all fine by default, so problem solved.

        Thanks for taking the time to reply

        PEte

        On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 06:52:17 -0500, ken <gebser@...> wrote:
        > froogleuk wrote:
        >
        > >Hey all,
        > >
        > >I've been having a nightmare time getting my Dell Inspiron to work
        > >with X at the correct resolution (1680x1050). I've managed to get
        > >the latest ATI drivers downloaded, compiled and installed, so I'm
        > >running X against the fglrx driver. I've also tried the "ati" driver
        > >(I'm in XFree 4 by the way) but X won't even start with that and
        > >crashes out saying No devices detected.
        > >
        > >SO, has anyone out there, with this screen, managed to get X working
        > >on Debian or Ubuntu at 1680x1050 resolution?
        > >
        > >PEte
        > >

        > The first thing to do is to get X working at *any* resolution. After
        > that you can tweak it for the desired resolution. Moreover, if the
        > video device isn't detected, you're not going to be able to get X going
        > at all. Have you checked the log files?
        >
        > hth,
        > ken
        >
        > --
        > Reality is complicated.
        > Bush is simple.

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • shfriedrich
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
          i have a similar problem. all works fine for internal display but
          when connecting to a Sony LCD, resolution only goes to 800x600, the
          display has 1600x1100. I run Xorg.

          Thanks, Lars

          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Pete Wright

          Service.
        • Pete Wright
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
            Well, in the end I upgraded to xOrg and everything was fine. I used
            the ATI driver in XORG if that helps, but didn't need to add any
            modelines or anything. In fact, the only thing I did change in the
            xorg.conf file was to explicitly state that I wanted a resolution of
            1680 x 1050 (my internal display resolution).

            Pete