Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Mandrake 10.1 - Inspiron 8200

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
      lance_perry wrote:

      >>FInally could your problem be coming from an old bios? I'm with A11
      >>(I think - been a while since I upgraded).
      >

      > Sorry for my ignorance but how do you get an upgraded bios?
      >>From the dell site I assume?

      Yes, you have to download the bios from dell site. I'm runing A12
      without issue on my latitude C840.
      I remember that it was intricate: I had to make a MS/Dos boot floppy
      because the bios came as a MS .exe. I don't know if they provide a linux
      program now.
      Last (but not least), you have to cross your fingers during the bios
      upgrade... and put a charged battery in your laptop!

      Good luck,

      Alex.

    • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
        Am Samstag 04 Dezember 2004 13:47 schrieb Alexandre Tessier:
        > I remember that it was intricate: I had to make a MS/Dos
        > boot floppy because the bios came as a MS .exe. I don't
        > know if they provide a linux program now.

        AFAIK there's a project which creates a bootable linux floppy
        disk from the Dell BIOS upgrade, but I do not remember the
        name of the project.

        > Last (but not least), you have to cross your fingers during
        > the bios upgrade... and put a charged battery in your
        > laptop!

        Yeah!

        Best regards

        ce