Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: Mandrake 10.1 - Inspiron 8200

  • Gabriel
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
      Yes from the Dell website, at:

      http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

      Where you can either enter your service tag or directly enter your model name
      and number.
      On the next page choose under "download category" = "flashBIOS" and "operating
      system" "Linux" or "Windows XP" (doesn't change much).

      If you want to flash from Linux you will have to download the I8200A11.exe
      file (not the 8200_A11.exe file which is for Windows).
      Get the biosflash utility from John Hull at:
      http://linux.dell.com/blog/2004/06/11/#1116

      Follow the instructions of John's web page to build a boot floppy with the
      bios on it. You'll then have to boot that floppy to flash your bios.

      Gabriel.

      On Saturday 04 December 2004 13:16, lance_perry wrote:
      > > FInally could your problem be coming from an old bios? I'm with A11
      > > (I think - been a while since I upgraded).
      >
      > Sorry for my ignorance but how do you get an upgraded bios?
      > From the dell site I assume?
      >
      > Lance
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
        lance_perry wrote:

        >>FInally could your problem be coming from an old bios? I'm with A11
        >>(I think - been a while since I upgraded).
        >

        > Sorry for my ignorance but how do you get an upgraded bios?
        >>From the dell site I assume?

        Yes, you have to download the bios from dell site. I'm runing A12
        without issue on my latitude C840.
        I remember that it was intricate: I had to make a MS/Dos boot floppy
        because the bios came as a MS .exe. I don't know if they provide a linux
        program now.
        Last (but not least), you have to cross your fingers during the bios
        upgrade... and put a charged battery in your laptop!

        Good luck,

        Alex.

      • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
          Am Samstag 04 Dezember 2004 13:47 schrieb Alexandre Tessier:
          > I remember that it was intricate: I had to make a MS/Dos
          > boot floppy because the bios came as a MS .exe. I don't
          > know if they provide a linux program now.

          AFAIK there's a project which creates a bootable linux floppy
          disk from the Dell BIOS upgrade, but I do not remember the
          name of the project.

          > Last (but not least), you have to cross your fingers during
          > the bios upgrade... and put a charged battery in your
          > laptop!

          Yeah!

          Best regards

          ce