Re: 3D acceleration on I5Ke

  • fukbill@mail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
      --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Zach Loafman <zml@z...> wrote:
      > fukbill@m... writes:
      >
      > > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just
      fine.

      > > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
      > > >
      > > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
      > > >

      > > I understand that the string should read as above, what I was
      asking(I
      > > probably should have put it more directly) was how do I switch to
      Mesa
      > > DRI (Blah Blah)?? Everything else is setup. X4.0.2 reports that
      DRI
      > > is enabled and all the trouble shooting tips in the DRI User's
      guide
      > > report correctly. Any ideas?(And no Debian cop outs)
      >
      > You don't "switch it". It either works or it doesn't. :)
      >
      > Did you modprobe the r128 kernel module?
      > Does dmesg should the agp and r128 stuff loading?
      >
      > You should see something like this in dmesg:
      >
      > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
      > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
      > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
      > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
      > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
      > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
      >
      > Also, you need need need the DRM modules that are present in 2.4 (or
      > you need to patch 2.2.18), the DRM stuff in 2.2.18 is version 1.0.
      >
      > --
      > Zachary M. Loafman

      Hmmm
      I switched it.... And it worked.*Thanks god*
      The problem was not with kernel modules(I stated that I had gone
      through all aspects of the trouble shooting section of the DRI user's
      Guid(a piece of crap section if you ask me)) I had all kernel modules
      loaded and everything but glxinfo reported fine.

      The problem was with symlinks in /usr/X11R6/lib
      libGL.so
      and libGL.so.1
      were pointing to different versions of OpenGL so I removed those
      symlinks and gave her a:
      ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so
      ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so.1
      then when I ran glxinfo *BAM* it began to report Mesa DRI ATI blah
      blah

      Advice to all struggling DRI seekers out there:
      Check your symlinks if everything else is reporting ok except glxinfo
    • fukbill@mail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
        Sorry Zach, I did not mean to sound cynical or mean. I have just been
        studying and messing with my computer all week. Sorry man.
      • Mark Dorset
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
          Hmm, since it's the topic at the moment....

          > > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.
          > > >
          > > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
          > > >
          > > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

          $ glxinfo | grep DRI
          OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

          > You should see something like this in dmesg:
          >
          > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
          > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
          > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
          > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
          > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
          > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

          $ dmesg | grep agp
          Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
          agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
          agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
          agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000

          $ dmesg | grep drm
          [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
          [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

          $ uname -a
          Linux markd 2.4.0 #1 Thu Jan 11 15:14:11 EST 2001 i686 unknown

          from my /var/log/XFree86.0.log;

          (II) R128(0): [drm] Added 128 16384 byte vertex/indirect buffers
          (II) R128(0): [drm] Mapped 128 vertex/indirect buffers
          (II) R128(0): Direct rendering enabled

          When I try and run anything involved 3d type stuff the machine hangs
          totally. No keyboard input (not even ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-f1), no
          screen movement (including pointer)...

          Any suggestions?

          regards,
          Mark
        • Zach Loafman
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
            fukbill@... wrote:

            > Sorry Zach, I did not mean to sound cynical or mean. I have just been
            > studying and messing with my computer all week. Sorry man.

            No worries. DRI took me a little while because I didn't notice the
            complaints about DRI version mismatches coming from the 2.2.18 kernel..
            when it was all working, it was kinda cool. TuxRacer is far too cute for
            its own good.

            ...Zach
          • dell-linux@aaman.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2001
              --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Mark Dorset <markd@i...> wrote:
              > Hmm, since it's the topic at the moment....

              > $ glxinfo | grep DRI
              > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
              >
              > > You should see something like this in dmesg:
              > >
              > > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
              > > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
              > > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
              > > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
              > > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
              > > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
              >
              > $ dmesg | grep agp
              > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
              > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
              > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
              > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
              >
              > $ dmesg | grep drm
              > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
              > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
              >
              > $ uname -a
              > Linux markd 2.4.0 #1 Thu Jan 11 15:14:11 EST 2001 i686 unknown
              >
              > from my /var/log/XFree86.0.log;
              >
              > (II) R128(0): [drm] Added 128 16384 byte vertex/indirect buffers
              > (II) R128(0): [drm] Mapped 128 vertex/indirect buffers
              > (II) R128(0): Direct rendering enabled
              >
              > When I try and run anything involved 3d type stuff the machine hangs
              > totally. No keyboard input (not even ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-f1),
              no
              > screen movement (including pointer)...
              >
              > Any suggestions?

              The same thing happens to me, except I am running an I8K. The first
              problem is that the agpgart reports 2x instead of 4x. Everything looks
              great but when you run something that utilizes openGL everything
              hangs. This bug has been reported to the DRI project (at sourceforge),
              but I have not seen any comments to it! The problem is probably in the
              kernel module r128 (may have something todo with it beeing M4 and not
              M3 perhaps?)

              / Daniel