Mandrake 10.1 - Inspiron 8200

  • lance_perry
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 2004
      I am having trouble powering on my 8200.

      I have to hit the power button on and off several
      times (and I do mean several) before I ever get the
      dell splash screen to come up.

      I press the power button and the power light is green
      and the harddrive light is green for a few seconds before
      going blank. After that nothing. Screen is blank and there
      are no signs of activity.

      Is there some sort of power management issue with Mandrake
      and how it powers off the 8200?

      Lance
    • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
        > Is there some sort of power management issue with Mandrake
        > and how it powers off the 8200?

        I never noticed something similar in MDK 9.2 or 10.0.

        A question:

        Does the computer pass the bootloader and start the kernel or
        not? When the kernel gets loaded, can you press F2 and see
        the kernel output? At which point does the computer hang?

        BTW: In my /boot/grub/menu.lst, I pass the following
        parameters to the kernel:

        title Mandrake
        kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-14mdk root=/dev/hda2 noapic
        devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda1 splash=silent vga=791

        Best regards

        ce
      • Gabriel
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
          Hi Lance,

          I've had similar symptoms (on a I8200) when I use an external monitor and
          forget to switch it on, the laptop's leds light up for a few seconds and then
          everything switches off (naturally the lid is shut) - I guess that's the
          bios's way of telling you "give me a screen!".

          I also have the above when I don't insert the laptop properly into the docking
          station.

          FInally could your problem be coming from an old bios? I'm with A11 (I think -
          been a while since I upgraded).

          Gabriel.

          On Saturday 04 December 2004 04:41, lance_perry wrote:
          > I am having trouble powering on my 8200.
          >
          > I have to hit the power button on and off several
          > times (and I do mean several) before I ever get the
          > dell splash screen to come up.
          >
          > I press the power button and the power light is green
          > and the harddrive light is green for a few seconds before
          > going blank. After that nothing. Screen is blank and there
          > are no signs of activity.
          >
          > Is there some sort of power management issue with Mandrake
          > and how it powers off the 8200?
          >
          > Lance

        • lance_perry
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
            > FInally could your problem be coming from an old bios? I'm with A11
            > (I think - been a while since I upgraded).

            Sorry for my ignorance but how do you get an upgraded bios?
            From the dell site I assume?

            Lance
          • lance_perry
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
              > Does the computer pass the bootloader and start the kernel or
              > not? When the kernel gets loaded, can you press F2 and see
              > the kernel output? At which point does the computer hang?

              I never even see the dell boot screen to hit F2.

              > BTW: In my /boot/grub/menu.lst, I pass the following
              > parameters to the kernel:
              >
              > title Mandrake
              > kernel (hd0,1)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.3-14mdk root=/dev/hda2 noapic
              > devfs=mount acpi=ht resume=/dev/hda1 splash=silent vga=791

              Thanks for the grub menu stuff. I check on that.

              Lance
            • Gabriel
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
                Yes from the Dell website, at:

                http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

                Where you can either enter your service tag or directly enter your model name
                and number.
                On the next page choose under "download category" = "flashBIOS" and "operating
                system" "Linux" or "Windows XP" (doesn't change much).

                If you want to flash from Linux you will have to download the I8200A11.exe
                file (not the 8200_A11.exe file which is for Windows).
                Get the biosflash utility from John Hull at:
                http://linux.dell.com/blog/2004/06/11/#1116

                Follow the instructions of John's web page to build a boot floppy with the
                bios on it. You'll then have to boot that floppy to flash your bios.

                Gabriel.

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
                  > I never even see the dell boot screen to hit F2.

                  Well, so it seems not to be a linux issue.

                  After switching the machine on, the BIOS gets initialized and
                  performs a POST (power on self test).

                  Per default, the POST is set in the BIOS to be a short one,
                  which causes the BIOS not to check every aspect at each time
                  you switch the computer on. Only basic tests are performed.

                  If you even do not get the dell screen, it seems that the
                  problem already exists during the POST. This really is not an
                  easy to solve issue. Perhaps you have to contact Dell.

                  Best regards

                  ce
                • Alexandre Tessier
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
                    lance_perry wrote:

                    >>FInally could your problem be coming from an old bios? I'm with A11
                    >>(I think - been a while since I upgraded).
                    >

                    > Sorry for my ignorance but how do you get an upgraded bios?
                    >>From the dell site I assume?

                    Yes, you have to download the bios from dell site. I'm runing A12
                    without issue on my latitude C840.
                    I remember that it was intricate: I had to make a MS/Dos boot floppy
                    because the bios came as a MS .exe. I don't know if they provide a linux
                    program now.
                    Last (but not least), you have to cross your fingers during the bios
                    upgrade... and put a charged battery in your laptop!

                    Good luck,

                    Alex.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 4, 2004
                      Am Samstag 04 Dezember 2004 13:47 schrieb Alexandre Tessier:
                      > I remember that it was intricate: I had to make a MS/Dos
                      > boot floppy because the bios came as a MS .exe. I don't
                      > know if they provide a linux program now.

                      AFAIK there's a project which creates a bootable linux floppy
                      disk from the Dell BIOS upgrade, but I do not remember the
                      name of the project.

                      > Last (but not least), you have to cross your fingers during
                      > the bios upgrade... and put a charged battery in your
                      > laptop!

                      Yeah!

                      Best regards

                      ce