Re: 8600 stage 1 gentoo install

  • danielluera@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
      Thanks for the response, but in gentoo there is not install program,
      per se. You do it all yourself.

      One of the benefits to this is that I didn't run into the 2.6 kernel
      drive geometry problems that have occured with other distro. Also, I
      didn't opt for a floppy drive, so a boot floppy would have been rather
      pointless. *grin*

      Anyways, for any that are concerned, this does work. Merely firing up
      the install disc and then using fdisk to change the boot flag works
      great. The only caveat is that you have to take the boot flag off of
      the Windows XP partition as well. I didn't test to see what would
      happen if I had two boot flags active at the same time. What can I
      say, I'm not THAT brave.

      So, for any that are wondering... My steps were...

      fdisk /dev/hda

      I left /dev/hda1 alone
      I resized /dev/hda2 to 30 GB
      I then set /dev/hda3 to 64M (I'm using ext3 thus the double sized boot)
      /dev/hda4 to 1024M
      /dev/hda5 to remainder of disk

      Once this was done I then reinstalled Windows XP on /dev/hda2 and let
      it do the formatting of the partition before the install. This then
      set /dev/hda2 with the boot flag.

      After Windows was reinstalled I then changed the bios options to boot
      from the DVDROM and placed the gentoo CD in.

      After I worked through the stage 1 install I then rebooted with the CD
      still in place and then used fdisk to change the boot flag.

      System works flawlessly now.

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
      > danielluera@y... wrote:

      > >Also, currently I have my /dev/hda2 (Windows XP Home) as the
      > >boot... Rather Windows did it after I resized and reinstalled, but
      > >I hadn't done the linux install yet, obviously.
      > >
      > >I can just use fdisk to move the boot flag to /dev/hda3, right,
      > >without losing any data?
      > >

      > If you haven't finished the install yet, I wouldn't mess with that.
      Let