Re: Dell Inspiron 9100 WSXGA and Ubuntu/Debian

  • danielluera@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
      I'm using gentoo for my install, though I have the nVidia card, but
      have the same screen.

      Another difference is that I'm running Xorg. But, the part that you
      need to put in is the mode lines for that screen. After I put mine in
      it worked like a champ.

      You can check out this site for the required edits.

      http://resolute.ucsd.edu/diwaker/articles/linux-dell-8600.html

      But, if you're too lazy to look there you can just add this to your
      XF86Config (beware of line wrap, you've been warned):

      Section "Modes"
      Identifier "16:10"
      # 1280x800 @ 75.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 62.62 kHz; pclk: 107.21 MHz
      Modeline "1280x800" 107.21 1280 1360 1496 1712 800 801 804 835
      # 1280x800 @ 85.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 71.40 kHz; pclk: 123.38 MHz
      Modeline "1280x800" 123.38 1280 1368 1504 1728 800 801 804 840
      # 1280x800 @ 100.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 84.80 kHz; pclk: 147.89 MHz
      Modeline "1280x800" 147.89 1280 1376 1512 1744 800 801 804 848
      # 1680x1050 @ 60.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 65.22 kHz; pclk: 147.14 MHz
      Modeline "1680x1050" 147.14 1680 1784 1968 2256 1050 1051 1054 1087
      # 1680x1050 @ 75.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 82.20 kHz; pclk: 188.07 MHz
      Modeline "1680x1050" 188.07 1680 1800 1984 2288 1050 1051 1054 1096
      # 1680x1050 @ 85.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 93.76 kHz; pclk: 214.51 MHz
      Modeline "1680x1050" 214.51 1680 1800 1984 2288 1050 1051 1054 1103
      # 1680x1050 @ 100.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 111.20 kHz; pclk: 256.20 MHz
      Modeline "1680x1050" 256.20 1680 1808 1992 2304 1050 1051 1054 1112
      # 1920x1200 @ 75.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 93.97 kHz; pclk: 246.59 MHz
      Modeline "1920x1200" 246.59 1920 2064 2272 2624 1200 1201 1204 1253
      # 1920x1200 @ 85.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 107.10 kHz; pclk: 282.74 MHz
      Modeline "1920x1200" 282.74 1920 2072 2280 2640 1200 1201 1204 1260
      # 1920x1200 @ 100.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 127.10 kHz; pclk: 337.58 MHz
      Modeline "1920x1200" 337.58 1920 2072 2288 2656 1200 1201 1204 1271
      EndSection

      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, "froogleuk"
      <peterjwright@g...> wrote:

      > Hey all,
      >
      > I've been having a nightmare time getting my Dell Inspiron to work
      > with X at the correct resolution (1680x1050). I've managed to get
      > the latest ATI drivers downloaded, compiled and installed, so I'm
      > running X against the fglrx driver. I've also tried the "ati" driver
      > (I'm in XFree 4 by the way) but X won't even start with that and
      > crashes out saying No devices detected.
      >
      > SO, has anyone out there, with this screen, managed to get X working
      > on Debian or Ubuntu at 1680x1050 resolution?
      >
      > PEte
    • ken
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
        froogleuk wrote:

        >Hey all,
        >
        >I've been having a nightmare time getting my Dell Inspiron to work
        >with X at the correct resolution (1680x1050). I've managed to get
        >the latest ATI drivers downloaded, compiled and installed, so I'm
        >running X against the fglrx driver. I've also tried the "ati" driver
        >(I'm in XFree 4 by the way) but X won't even start with that and
        >crashes out saying No devices detected.
        >
        >SO, has anyone out there, with this screen, managed to get X working
        >on Debian or Ubuntu at 1680x1050 resolution?
        >
        >PEte

        The first thing to do is to get X working at *any* resolution. After
        that you can tweak it for the desired resolution. Moreover, if the
        video device isn't detected, you're not going to be able to get X going
        at all. Have you checked the log files?

        hth,
        ken

        --
        Reality is complicated.
        Bush is simple.
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
          Thanks.

          Yes, I had X working with both the Vesa and the fglrx drivers without
          any problems. The problems kicked in when I tried to use a very
          specific resolution (1680x1050). XFree just wouldn't have it with any
          of the drivers insisting in all cases that there was no such mode.

          I've now upgraded to XOrg and it's all fine by default, so problem solved.

          Thanks for taking the time to reply

          PEte

          On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 06:52:17 -0500, ken <gebser@...> wrote:
          > froogleuk wrote:
          >
          > >Hey all,
          > >
          > >I've been having a nightmare time getting my Dell Inspiron to work
          > >with X at the correct resolution (1680x1050). I've managed to get
          > >the latest ATI drivers downloaded, compiled and installed, so I'm
          > >running X against the fglrx driver. I've also tried the "ati" driver
          > >(I'm in XFree 4 by the way) but X won't even start with that and
          > >crashes out saying No devices detected.
          > >
          > >SO, has anyone out there, with this screen, managed to get X working
          > >on Debian or Ubuntu at 1680x1050 resolution?
          > >
          > >PEte
          > >

          > The first thing to do is to get X working at *any* resolution. After
          > that you can tweak it for the desired resolution. Moreover, if the
          > video device isn't detected, you're not going to be able to get X going
          > at all. Have you checked the log files?
          >
          > hth,
          > ken
          >
          > --
          > Reality is complicated.
          > Bush is simple.

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • shfriedrich
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5, 2004
            i have a similar problem. all works fine for internal display but
            when connecting to a Sony LCD, resolution only goes to 800x600, the
            display has 1600x1100. I run Xorg.

            Thanks, Lars

            --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Pete Wright

            Service.
          • Pete Wright
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 6, 2004
              Well, in the end I upgraded to xOrg and everything was fine. I used
              the ATI driver in XORG if that helps, but didn't need to add any
              modelines or anything. In fact, the only thing I did change in the
              xorg.conf file was to explicitly state that I wanted a resolution of
              1680 x 1050 (my internal display resolution).

              Pete