Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: where to put $$$ to beef up performance

  • R Stewart
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 3, 2004
      I did a little experimenting tonight with /etc/sysconfig/harddisks. For
      the data below, I uncommented each entry
      (USE_DMA, MULTIPLE_IO, EIDE_32BIT, LOOKAHEAD) one after another. I'm
      not sure how accurate these tests were, though, since DMA was enabled
      on my laptop running FC3, even if the USE_DMA line was commented out. I
      turned DMA off for the tests with FC3 with
      # /sbin/hdparm -d 0 /dev/hda

      The desktop is running FC2. The Hitachi drives both have an 8MB cache.
      The Western Digital has a 2 MB cache. This didn't appear to affect the
      cache read tests, as both desktop drives scored around 675 MB/sec for
      buffer-cache reads.

      Interestingly enough, the buffer-cache reads for the Travelstar in my
      laptop averaged slightly over 900 MB/sec.

      The data below is for buffered disk reads.

      The numbers below are for a Hitachi Travelstar 7200 RPM 60 GB drive in
      a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop.

      * USE_DMA=0 - 2.41 MB/sec
      * USE_DMA=1 - 32 MB/sec
      * MULTIPLE_IO=16 - 38 MB/sec
      * EIDE_32BIT=3 - 38 MB/sec
      * LOOKAHEAD=1 - 58 MB/sec

      The numbers below are for a Hitachi Deskstar 7200 RPM 200 GB drive in a
      Dell Dimension 4400 desktop.

      * USE_DMA=0 - 2.48 MB/sec
      * USE_DMA=1 - 48 MB/sec
      * MULTIPLE_IO=16 - 52 MB/sec
      * EIDE_32BIT=3 - 52 MB/sec
      * LOOKAHEAD=1 - 52 MB/sec

      The numbers below are for a Western Digital 7200 RPM 60 GB drive in a
      Dell Dimension 4400 desktop.

      * USE_DMA=0 - 3.05 MB/sec
      * USE_DMA=1 - 34 MB/sec
      * MULTIPLE_IO=16 - 34 MB/sec