Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Wireless WEP Key?

  • mpierce
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 02:29 pm, bil Jeschke wrote:
      > It sounds like your system is not remembering your key. Your system can
      > store upto 4 keys, and can view them with;
      > iwlist wlan0 key
      > If you have all 4 keys filled, then you will have to remove one to add the
      > new one.
      >
      > man iwlist for more options
      Even though it shows the key as listed, network will not start until I run
      script which does what I previously showed.

      Boo hoo!

      > --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:
      > > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
      > > system.
      > >
      > > The access point requires a key.
      > >
      > > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation
      > > problem until I run,
      > > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      > > pump -i wlan0
      > >
      > > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently
      > > kept.
      >
      > =====
      > I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
      > All are Welcome to My Domain
      > Good to See you again!

      > http://my.yahoo.com

    • Peio
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
        El vie, 03-12-2004 a las 13:11 +1100, mpierce escribió:
        > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
        > system.
        >
        > The access point requires a key.
        >
        > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation problem
        > until I run,
        > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        > pump -i wlan0
        >
        > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently kept.
        in /etc/network/interfaces
        wireles_key XXXX(hexadecimal) | s:XXXX(ascii)

      • Aaron Luptak
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
          mpierce wrote:

          >I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
          >system.
          >
          >The access point requires a key.
          >
          >On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation problem
          >until I run,
          > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          > pump -i wlan0
          >
          >Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently kept.

          On debian, mine was set up in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts - It's standard
          with the wireless-tools package (i think), the file has pretty good
          documentation inside.
        • mpierce
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
            On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:25 am, Peio wrote:
            > El vie, 03-12-2004 a las 13:11 +1100, mpierce escribió:
            > > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
            > > system.
            > >
            > > The access point requires a key.
            > >
            > > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation
            > > problem until I run,
            > > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            > > pump -i wlan0
            > >
            > > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently
            > > kept.
            >
            > in /etc/network/interfaces
            > wireles_key XXXX(hexadecimal) | s:XXXX(ascii)
            Working like a charm... Thank you!
            Finale setup is for anyone else:

            auto wlan0
            iface wlan0 provider dhcp