Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 1931

  • bruce
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2004
      >>I'm using Ubuntu, not Gentoo, but they're both Debian-based. I think
      Ubuntu is more like a more user-friendly Debian.

      >>I've always wondered about laptop LCDs. I know they are physically
      different from CRTs and mechanically work differently, but how do they
      differ in regards to X setup and config? I have never seen any
      documentation mentioning LCDs or how they should be setup. Most
      documentation assumes I have a CRT.

      >>And is there any danger of damaging my laptop's LCD with a bad config
      (as all documentation warns)?

      I have been using linux almost solely on laptops since Mandrake 6.5. I
      understand that what you say is true, but I have had no problems with
      Mandrake setting up video and display. Well, not no problems, but
      nothing major. Mandrake usually gives you choices which include typical
      laptop displays, and if you run the test for set up, usually it will not
      be running wrong for more than a few seconds.

      It helps if you google for the specs on your laptop. For sure know what
      type it is, if you are given the chance to select by manufacture and
      type.

      by memory over that number of years, it seems at time the specific
      version was able to identify the sucker.

      My biggest problems were recently with the NVIDIA drivers, and the
      config files. The free download versions are not really good at working
      with your video cards, though with my 400 MHZ Compaq those old versions
      were still capable. On this Dell 2650, free download didn't even attempt
      to build the Xconfig file. I recommend newbies pay for a good distro the
      first time, at least.