Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Wireless WEP Key?

  • bil Jeschke
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      It sounds like your system is not remembering your key. Your system can store upto
      4 keys, and can view them with;
      iwlist wlan0 key
      If you have all 4 keys filled, then you will have to remove one to add the new one.

      man iwlist for more options

      --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:

      > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
      > system.
      >
      > The access point requires a key.
      >
      > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation problem
      > until I run,
      > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      > pump -i wlan0
      >
      > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently kept.

      =====
      I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
      All are Welcome to My Domain
      Good to See you again!

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • mpierce
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 02:29 pm, bil Jeschke wrote:
        > It sounds like your system is not remembering your key. Your system can
        > store upto 4 keys, and can view them with;
        > iwlist wlan0 key
        > If you have all 4 keys filled, then you will have to remove one to add the
        > new one.
        >
        > man iwlist for more options
        Even though it shows the key as listed, network will not start until I run
        script which does what I previously showed.

        Boo hoo!

        > --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:
        > > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
        > > system.
        > >
        > > The access point requires a key.
        > >
        > > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation
        > > problem until I run,
        > > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        > > pump -i wlan0
        > >
        > > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently
        > > kept.
        >
        > =====
        > I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
        > All are Welcome to My Domain
        > Good to See you again!

        > http://my.yahoo.com

      • Peio
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
          El vie, 03-12-2004 a las 13:11 +1100, mpierce escribió:
          > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
          > system.
          >
          > The access point requires a key.
          >
          > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation problem
          > until I run,
          > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          > pump -i wlan0
          >
          > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently kept.
          in /etc/network/interfaces
          wireles_key XXXX(hexadecimal) | s:XXXX(ascii)

        • Aaron Luptak
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
            mpierce wrote:

            >I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
            >system.
            >
            >The access point requires a key.
            >
            >On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation problem
            >until I run,
            > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            > pump -i wlan0
            >
            >Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently kept.

            On debian, mine was set up in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts - It's standard
            with the wireless-tools package (i think), the file has pretty good
            documentation inside.
          • mpierce
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
              On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:25 am, Peio wrote:
              > El vie, 03-12-2004 a las 13:11 +1100, mpierce escribió:
              > > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
              > > system.
              > >
              > > The access point requires a key.
              > >
              > > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation
              > > problem until I run,
              > > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
              > > pump -i wlan0
              > >
              > > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently
              > > kept.
              >
              > in /etc/network/interfaces
              > wireles_key XXXX(hexadecimal) | s:XXXX(ascii)
              Working like a charm... Thank you!
              Finale setup is for anyone else:

              auto wlan0
              iface wlan0 provider dhcp