Wireless WEP Key?

  • mpierce
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
      I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
      system.

      The access point requires a key.

      On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation problem
      until I run,
      iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
      pump -i wlan0

      Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently kept.
    • bil Jeschke
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
        It sounds like your system is not remembering your key. Your system can store upto
        4 keys, and can view them with;
        iwlist wlan0 key
        If you have all 4 keys filled, then you will have to remove one to add the new one.

        man iwlist for more options

        --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:

        > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
        > system.
        >
        > The access point requires a key.
        >
        > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation problem
        > until I run,
        > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        > pump -i wlan0
        >
        > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently kept.

        =====
        I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
        All are Welcome to My Domain
        Good to See you again!

        http://my.yahoo.com
      • mpierce
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 02:29 pm, bil Jeschke wrote:
          > It sounds like your system is not remembering your key. Your system can
          > store upto 4 keys, and can view them with;
          > iwlist wlan0 key
          > If you have all 4 keys filled, then you will have to remove one to add the
          > new one.
          >
          > man iwlist for more options
          Even though it shows the key as listed, network will not start until I run
          script which does what I previously showed.

          Boo hoo!

          > --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:
          > > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
          > > system.
          > >
          > > The access point requires a key.
          > >
          > > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation
          > > problem until I run,
          > > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
          > > pump -i wlan0
          > >
          > > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently
          > > kept.
          >
          > =====
          > I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
          > All are Welcome to My Domain
          > Good to See you again!

          > http://my.yahoo.com

        • Peio
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
            El vie, 03-12-2004 a las 13:11 +1100, mpierce escribió:
            > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
            > system.
            >
            > The access point requires a key.
            >
            > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation problem
            > until I run,
            > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
            > pump -i wlan0
            >
            > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently kept.
            in /etc/network/interfaces
            wireles_key XXXX(hexadecimal) | s:XXXX(ascii)

          • Aaron Luptak
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
              mpierce wrote:

              >I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
              >system.
              >
              >The access point requires a key.
              >
              >On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation problem
              >until I run,
              > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
              > pump -i wlan0
              >
              >Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently kept.

              On debian, mine was set up in /etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts - It's standard
              with the wireless-tools package (i think), the file has pretty good
              documentation inside.
            • mpierce
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 3, 2004
                On Sat, 4 Dec 2004 12:25 am, Peio wrote:
                > El vie, 03-12-2004 a las 13:11 +1100, mpierce escribió:
                > > I'm using the ndiswrapper for a Belkin PCMCIA wlan0 802.11g on a Debian
                > > system.
                > >
                > > The access point requires a key.
                > >
                > > On startup, the network fails as it cannot access due to authorisation
                > > problem until I run,
                > > iwconfig wlan0 key xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                > > pump -i wlan0
                > >
                > > Is there a way to configure the system so that this key is permanently
                > > kept.
                >
                > in /etc/network/interfaces
                > wireles_key XXXX(hexadecimal) | s:XXXX(ascii)
                Working like a charm... Thank you!
                Finale setup is for anyone else:

                auto wlan0
                iface wlan0 provider dhcp