Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: 3D acceleration on I5Ke

  • Zach Loafman
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
      fukbill@... writes:

      > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.
      > >
      > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
      > >
      > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
      > >

      > I understand that the string should read as above, what I was asking(I
      > probably should have put it more directly) was how do I switch to Mesa
      > DRI (Blah Blah)?? Everything else is setup. X4.0.2 reports that DRI
      > is enabled and all the trouble shooting tips in the DRI User's guide
      > report correctly. Any ideas?(And no Debian cop outs)

      You don't "switch it". It either works or it doesn't. :)

      Did you modprobe the r128 kernel module?
      Does dmesg should the agp and r128 stuff loading?

      You should see something like this in dmesg:

      Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
      agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
      agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
      agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
      [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
      [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

      Also, you need need need the DRM modules that are present in 2.4 (or
      you need to patch 2.2.18), the DRM stuff in 2.2.18 is version 1.0.

      --
      Zachary M. Loafman
    • fukbill@mail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Zach Loafman <zml@z...> wrote:
        > fukbill@m... writes:
        >
        > > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just
        fine.

        > > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
        > > >
        > > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
        > > >

        > > I understand that the string should read as above, what I was
        asking(I
        > > probably should have put it more directly) was how do I switch to
        Mesa
        > > DRI (Blah Blah)?? Everything else is setup. X4.0.2 reports that
        DRI
        > > is enabled and all the trouble shooting tips in the DRI User's
        guide
        > > report correctly. Any ideas?(And no Debian cop outs)
        >
        > You don't "switch it". It either works or it doesn't. :)
        >
        > Did you modprobe the r128 kernel module?
        > Does dmesg should the agp and r128 stuff loading?
        >
        > You should see something like this in dmesg:
        >
        > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
        > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
        > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
        > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
        > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
        > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
        >
        > Also, you need need need the DRM modules that are present in 2.4 (or
        > you need to patch 2.2.18), the DRM stuff in 2.2.18 is version 1.0.
        >
        > --
        > Zachary M. Loafman

        Hmmm
        I switched it.... And it worked.*Thanks god*
        The problem was not with kernel modules(I stated that I had gone
        through all aspects of the trouble shooting section of the DRI user's
        Guid(a piece of crap section if you ask me)) I had all kernel modules
        loaded and everything but glxinfo reported fine.

        The problem was with symlinks in /usr/X11R6/lib
        libGL.so
        and libGL.so.1
        were pointing to different versions of OpenGL so I removed those
        symlinks and gave her a:
        ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so
        ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so.1
        then when I ran glxinfo *BAM* it began to report Mesa DRI ATI blah
        blah

        Advice to all struggling DRI seekers out there:
        Check your symlinks if everything else is reporting ok except glxinfo
      • fukbill@mail.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
          Sorry Zach, I did not mean to sound cynical or mean. I have just been
          studying and messing with my computer all week. Sorry man.
        • Mark Dorset
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
            Hmm, since it's the topic at the moment....

            > > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.
            > > >
            > > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
            > > >
            > > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

            $ glxinfo | grep DRI
            OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

            > You should see something like this in dmesg:
            >
            > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
            > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
            > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
            > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
            > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
            > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

            $ dmesg | grep agp
            Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
            agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
            agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
            agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000

            $ dmesg | grep drm
            [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
            [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

            $ uname -a
            Linux markd 2.4.0 #1 Thu Jan 11 15:14:11 EST 2001 i686 unknown

            from my /var/log/XFree86.0.log;

            (II) R128(0): [drm] Added 128 16384 byte vertex/indirect buffers
            (II) R128(0): [drm] Mapped 128 vertex/indirect buffers
            (II) R128(0): Direct rendering enabled

            When I try and run anything involved 3d type stuff the machine hangs
            totally. No keyboard input (not even ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-f1), no
            screen movement (including pointer)...

            Any suggestions?

            regards,
            Mark
          • Zach Loafman
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
              fukbill@... wrote:

              > Sorry Zach, I did not mean to sound cynical or mean. I have just been
              > studying and messing with my computer all week. Sorry man.

              No worries. DRI took me a little while because I didn't notice the
              complaints about DRI version mismatches coming from the 2.2.18 kernel..
              when it was all working, it was kinda cool. TuxRacer is far too cute for
              its own good.

              ...Zach
            • dell-linux@aaman.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2001
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Mark Dorset <markd@i...> wrote:
                > Hmm, since it's the topic at the moment....

                > $ glxinfo | grep DRI
                > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
                >
                > > You should see something like this in dmesg:
                > >
                > > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                > > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
                > > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                > > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
                > > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                > > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
                >
                > $ dmesg | grep agp
                > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
                > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
                >
                > $ dmesg | grep drm
                > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
                >
                > $ uname -a
                > Linux markd 2.4.0 #1 Thu Jan 11 15:14:11 EST 2001 i686 unknown
                >
                > from my /var/log/XFree86.0.log;
                >
                > (II) R128(0): [drm] Added 128 16384 byte vertex/indirect buffers
                > (II) R128(0): [drm] Mapped 128 vertex/indirect buffers
                > (II) R128(0): Direct rendering enabled
                >
                > When I try and run anything involved 3d type stuff the machine hangs
                > totally. No keyboard input (not even ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-f1),
                no
                > screen movement (including pointer)...
                >
                > Any suggestions?

                The same thing happens to me, except I am running an I8K. The first
                problem is that the agpgart reports 2x instead of 4x. Everything looks
                great but when you run something that utilizes openGL everything
                hangs. This bug has been reported to the DRI project (at sourceforge),
                but I have not seen any comments to it! The problem is probably in the
                kernel module r128 (may have something todo with it beeing M4 and not
                M3 perhaps?)

                / Daniel