I8600 and GPRS

  • Walter Cazzola
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
      Dear Experts,
      I'm a novel and proud owner of a Sony Ericsson P910i and I would like to
      connect it to my Dell Ispiron 8600 with a mandrake 9.1 (updated to 9.2)
      but I do not know from where to begin. In particular I would like to be
      able to:

      · link the phone to the laptop by the IRDA and browse the content of
      the phone, move data to and from the phone and so on.
      · use it as a GPRS modem and connect my laptop to the internet

      Have you some experiences on that? can you help me?

      thank you in advance for your help

      Best Regards
      Walter

      --
      Walter Cazzola, PhD - Assistant Professor, DICo, University of Milano
      E-mail cazzola@... Ph.: +39 010 353 6637 Fax: +39 010 353 6699
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        Walter Cazzola wrote:
        > Dear Experts,
        > I'm a novel and proud owner of a Sony Ericsson P910i and I would like to
        > connect it to my Dell Ispiron 8600 with a mandrake 9.1 (updated to 9.2)
        > but I do not know from where to begin. In particular I would like to be
        > able to:
        >
        > · link the phone to the laptop by the IRDA and browse the content of
        > the phone, move data to and from the phone and so on.
        > · use it as a GPRS modem and connect my laptop to the internet
        >
        > Have you some experiences on that? can you help me?

        Maybe you should read the infrared howto :
        http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Infrared-HOWTO/index.html
        (or /usr/share/doc/HOWTO/HTML/en/Infrared/index.html on your mandrake
        system)
        and see the irda project :
        http://irda.sourceforge.net/
        http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/IrDA/IrDA.html

        --
        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
        tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
          On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Alexandre Tessier wrote:

          > Maybe you should read the infrared howto :
          > http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Infrared-HOWTO/index.html

          Ok, I have read and tried a lot of tutorials about IRDA connection but
          it still doesn't work.

          I have a Inspiron 8200 with mandrake 9.1 (kernel 2.4.21-0.13mdk and
          irda-utils 0.9.16-3mdk).

          at the moment my system loads the following modules (irda related):

          ircomm-tty 24224 0 (unused)
          ircomm 9736 0 [ircomm-tty]
          irtty 7392 2
          irda 112112 0 [ircomm-tty ircomm irtty]

          and in the modules.conf I have:

          alias tty-ldisc-11 irtty
          alias char-major-161 ircomm-tty

          apparently everything works correctly, irdadump discovers the phone:

          14:11:56.780058 xid:cmd ffffffff < 3f7759d6 S=1 s=* P910i hint=9325 [ PnP PDA/Palmtop Modem Telephony IrCOMM IrOBEX ] (22)

          ttyS3 should be the terminal, I'm able to ping it, and in
          /proc/net/irda/discovery I've:

          IrLMP: Discovery log:
          nickname: P910i, hint: 0x9325, saddr: 0x2fda276c, daddr: 0x3f7759d6

          but I'm not able to upload and download files from/to the phone. I've
          tried jpilot, kpilot and kandy but no one is able to connect to the
          phone. Do you know what I'm missing?

          At the moment I want to fix the synch with the phone then I will try to
          configure it as a GPRS modem.

          TIA Walter
          --
        • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 29, 2004
            > Ok, I have read and tried a lot of tutorials about IRDA
            > connection but it still doesn't work.
            >
            > I have a Inspiron 8200 with mandrake 9.1 (kernel
            > 2.4.21-0.13mdk and irda-utils 0.9.16-3mdk).

            Do not know if it is helpful for you:

            http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/Inspiron8200.en.html#FIR

            Best regards

            ce