Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Wireless A Few Quick ?

  • mpierce
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
      On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 03:14 pm, bil Jeschke wrote:
      > Well the access point does not need any drivers, so i guess you asking
      > about the notebook card. Which card is it? You did not give the model
      > number for it, but you may not need wlan depending on the chipset it uses.
      > Also make sure wireless-tools is installed.
      It is the Belkin F5D7010.
      I read somewhere that this may need the ndiswrapper.
      Should I get something else?

      > For your kernel make sure you have Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA,
      > ISA) ---> PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> <Y> PCMCIA/CardBus support
      OK - I have that enabled for my Xircom card.

      > And in; Device Drivers ---> Networking support ---> Wireless LAN
      > (non-hamradio) ---> [Y] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless
      > Extensions
      >
      > And compile most of; Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) as modules.
      OK

      > Since the top speed for internet access is not above 8MB, then even 802.11b
      > will not interfer with your web serfing with it's average speed of 6-8MB.
      OK
      Large file transfers will be slow between machines...

      > --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:
      > > Tired of dragging blue cable around.
      > > Using Libranet 2.8.1 (Debian Sarge) with kernel 2.6.9 on my notebook.
      > > My server uses same OS with kernel 2.6.7.
      > >
      > > Server is the connection to Internet using an Alcatel ADSL modem with
      > > 1500Mbs connection.
      > >
      > > Just purchased a Belkin 802.11g access point model F5D7330au and a Belkin
      > > Wireless Notebook Network Cardbus.
      > >
      > > Before I open boxes - 3 questions.
      > >
      > > Q1. What do I have to compile into the kernel in order to support WLAN?
      > >
      > > Q2. Where do I get the drivers and what driver do I use to enable network
      > > card to work.
      > >
      > > Q3. Will I notice any loss in connection speed to Internet.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > ---
      >
      > =====
      > I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
      > All are Welcome to My Domain
      > Good to See you again!

      > http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail

    • bil Jeschke
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
        Looking at the card and the access point you should have little problem with file
        transfers since both are 11.g. I was just using the 11.b spec as a minimum
        reference point.
        I did a bit of googleing and saw the references to ndiswrapper for this card. I
        found a write up of the card a linuxquestions.org that says ndiswrapper works good
        with it.
        I tried ndiswrapper once with a different card, but using the version from debian
        did not work, installing from source worked better. But that was a few months ago,
        the debian version may work now, but the source is real easy to get going.

        http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1898

        =====

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
          On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 01:54 am, bil Jeschke wrote:
          > Looking at the card and the access point you should have little problem
          > with file transfers since both are 11.g. I was just using the 11.b spec as
          > a minimum reference point.
          > I did a bit of googleing and saw the references to ndiswrapper for this
          > card. I found a write up of the card a linuxquestions.org that says
          > ndiswrapper works good with it.
          > I tried ndiswrapper once with a different card, but using the version from
          > debian did not work, installing from source worked better. But that was a
          > few months ago, the debian version may work now, but the source is real
          > easy to get going.
          >
          > http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1898
          Bill,
          Thanks for help. Got it working using ndiswrapper and the *.inf file from the
          cd-rom.

          I'll configure the security aspects of the card later.

          Oh, I did use the ndiswrapper source as it is 0.12 versus 0.11 for *.deb file.
          Ndiswrapper website said there were some issues with versions <=0.11 and
          broadcom chipsets which is what the pcmcia cardbus uses.
          Marvin