Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Wireless A Few Quick ?

  • bil Jeschke
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      Well the access point does not need any drivers, so i guess you asking about the
      notebook card. Which card is it? You did not give the model number for it, but you
      may not need wlan depending on the chipset it uses. Also make sure wireless-tools
      is installed.

      For your kernel make sure you have Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA) --->
      PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> <Y> PCMCIA/CardBus support

      And in; Device Drivers ---> Networking support ---> Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
      ---> [Y] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions

      And compile most of; Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) as modules.

      Since the top speed for internet access is not above 8MB, then even 802.11b will not
      interfer with your web serfing with it's average speed of 6-8MB.

      --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:

      > Tired of dragging blue cable around.
      > Using Libranet 2.8.1 (Debian Sarge) with kernel 2.6.9 on my notebook.
      > My server uses same OS with kernel 2.6.7.
      >
      > Server is the connection to Internet using an Alcatel ADSL modem with 1500Mbs
      > connection.
      >
      > Just purchased a Belkin 802.11g access point model F5D7330au and a Belkin
      > Wireless Notebook Network Cardbus.
      >
      > Before I open boxes - 3 questions.
      >
      > Q1. What do I have to compile into the kernel in order to support WLAN?
      >
      > Q2. Where do I get the drivers and what driver do I use to enable network card
      > to work.
      >
      > Q3. Will I notice any loss in connection speed to Internet.
      >
      > Thanks
      > ---

      =====
      I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
      All are Welcome to My Domain
      Good to See you again!

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • mpierce
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
        On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 03:14 pm, bil Jeschke wrote:
        > Well the access point does not need any drivers, so i guess you asking
        > about the notebook card. Which card is it? You did not give the model
        > number for it, but you may not need wlan depending on the chipset it uses.
        > Also make sure wireless-tools is installed.
        It is the Belkin F5D7010.
        I read somewhere that this may need the ndiswrapper.
        Should I get something else?

        > For your kernel make sure you have Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA,
        > ISA) ---> PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> <Y> PCMCIA/CardBus support
        OK - I have that enabled for my Xircom card.

        > And in; Device Drivers ---> Networking support ---> Wireless LAN
        > (non-hamradio) ---> [Y] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless
        > Extensions
        >
        > And compile most of; Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) as modules.
        OK

        > Since the top speed for internet access is not above 8MB, then even 802.11b
        > will not interfer with your web serfing with it's average speed of 6-8MB.
        OK
        Large file transfers will be slow between machines...

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
          Looking at the card and the access point you should have little problem with file
          transfers since both are 11.g. I was just using the 11.b spec as a minimum
          reference point.
          I did a bit of googleing and saw the references to ndiswrapper for this card. I
          found a write up of the card a linuxquestions.org that says ndiswrapper works good
          with it.
          I tried ndiswrapper once with a different card, but using the version from debian
          did not work, installing from source worked better. But that was a few months ago,
          the debian version may work now, but the source is real easy to get going.

          http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1898

          =====

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
            On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 01:54 am, bil Jeschke wrote:
            > Looking at the card and the access point you should have little problem
            > with file transfers since both are 11.g. I was just using the 11.b spec as
            > a minimum reference point.
            > I did a bit of googleing and saw the references to ndiswrapper for this
            > card. I found a write up of the card a linuxquestions.org that says
            > ndiswrapper works good with it.
            > I tried ndiswrapper once with a different card, but using the version from
            > debian did not work, installing from source worked better. But that was a
            > few months ago, the debian version may work now, but the source is real
            > easy to get going.
            >
            > http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1898
            Bill,
            Thanks for help. Got it working using ndiswrapper and the *.inf file from the
            cd-rom.

            I'll configure the security aspects of the card later.

            Oh, I did use the ndiswrapper source as it is 0.12 versus 0.11 for *.deb file.
            Ndiswrapper website said there were some issues with versions <=0.11 and
            broadcom chipsets which is what the pcmcia cardbus uses.
            Marvin