Wireless A Few Quick ?

  • mpierce
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
      Tired of dragging blue cable around.
      Using Libranet 2.8.1 (Debian Sarge) with kernel 2.6.9 on my notebook.
      My server uses same OS with kernel 2.6.7.

      Server is the connection to Internet using an Alcatel ADSL modem with 1500Mbs
      connection.

      Just purchased a Belkin 802.11g access point model F5D7330au and a Belkin
      Wireless Notebook Network Cardbus.

      Before I open boxes - 3 questions.

      Q1. What do I have to compile into the kernel in order to support WLAN?

      Q2. Where do I get the drivers and what driver do I use to enable network card
      to work.

      Q3. Will I notice any loss in connection speed to Internet.

      Thanks
      ---
    • bil Jeschke
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 30, 2004
        Well the access point does not need any drivers, so i guess you asking about the
        notebook card. Which card is it? You did not give the model number for it, but you
        may not need wlan depending on the chipset it uses. Also make sure wireless-tools
        is installed.

        For your kernel make sure you have Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA) --->
        PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> <Y> PCMCIA/CardBus support

        And in; Device Drivers ---> Networking support ---> Wireless LAN (non-hamradio)
        ---> [Y] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless Extensions

        And compile most of; Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) as modules.

        Since the top speed for internet access is not above 8MB, then even 802.11b will not
        interfer with your web serfing with it's average speed of 6-8MB.

        --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:

        > Tired of dragging blue cable around.
        > Using Libranet 2.8.1 (Debian Sarge) with kernel 2.6.9 on my notebook.
        > My server uses same OS with kernel 2.6.7.
        >
        > Server is the connection to Internet using an Alcatel ADSL modem with 1500Mbs
        > connection.
        >
        > Just purchased a Belkin 802.11g access point model F5D7330au and a Belkin
        > Wireless Notebook Network Cardbus.
        >
        > Before I open boxes - 3 questions.
        >
        > Q1. What do I have to compile into the kernel in order to support WLAN?
        >
        > Q2. Where do I get the drivers and what driver do I use to enable network card
        > to work.
        >
        > Q3. Will I notice any loss in connection speed to Internet.
        >
        > Thanks
        > ---

        =====
        I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
        All are Welcome to My Domain
        Good to See you again!

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • mpierce
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
          On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 03:14 pm, bil Jeschke wrote:
          > Well the access point does not need any drivers, so i guess you asking
          > about the notebook card. Which card is it? You did not give the model
          > number for it, but you may not need wlan depending on the chipset it uses.
          > Also make sure wireless-tools is installed.
          It is the Belkin F5D7010.
          I read somewhere that this may need the ndiswrapper.
          Should I get something else?

          > For your kernel make sure you have Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA,
          > ISA) ---> PCMCIA/CardBus support ---> <Y> PCMCIA/CardBus support
          OK - I have that enabled for my Xircom card.

          > And in; Device Drivers ---> Networking support ---> Wireless LAN
          > (non-hamradio) ---> [Y] Wireless LAN drivers (non-hamradio) & Wireless
          > Extensions
          >
          > And compile most of; Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit) as modules.
          OK

          > Since the top speed for internet access is not above 8MB, then even 802.11b
          > will not interfer with your web serfing with it's average speed of 6-8MB.
          OK
          Large file transfers will be slow between machines...

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
            Looking at the card and the access point you should have little problem with file
            transfers since both are 11.g. I was just using the 11.b spec as a minimum
            reference point.
            I did a bit of googleing and saw the references to ndiswrapper for this card. I
            found a write up of the card a linuxquestions.org that says ndiswrapper works good
            with it.
            I tried ndiswrapper once with a different card, but using the version from debian
            did not work, installing from source worked better. But that was a few months ago,
            the debian version may work now, but the source is real easy to get going.

            http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1898

            =====

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 1, 2004
              On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 01:54 am, bil Jeschke wrote:
              > Looking at the card and the access point you should have little problem
              > with file transfers since both are 11.g. I was just using the 11.b spec as
              > a minimum reference point.
              > I did a bit of googleing and saw the references to ndiswrapper for this
              > card. I found a write up of the card a linuxquestions.org that says
              > ndiswrapper works good with it.
              > I tried ndiswrapper once with a different card, but using the version from
              > debian did not work, installing from source worked better. But that was a
              > few months ago, the debian version may work now, but the source is real
              > easy to get going.
              >
              > http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=1898
              Bill,
              Thanks for help. Got it working using ndiswrapper and the *.inf file from the
              cd-rom.

              I'll configure the security aspects of the card later.

              Oh, I did use the ndiswrapper source as it is 0.12 versus 0.11 for *.deb file.
              Ndiswrapper website said there were some issues with versions <=0.11 and
              broadcom chipsets which is what the pcmcia cardbus uses.
              Marvin