8600 stage 1 gentoo install

  • danielluera@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
      Okay,

      I've got a few gentoo installs under my belt, so I'm not a total
      noob. But, this is my first laptop. Aside from a few "gee whiz"
      moments running knoppix on my new 8600, I've not done much with
      linux on it.

      That being said. Relevant specs are :

      P4-M 1.6
      512 MB RAM
      60 GB HD (25 for linux - 64M ext3 boot/1024M swap/remainder ext3
      root)
      nVidia GFFX5200Go
      WSXGA+ 15.4" screen
      Dell b/g wireless
      modem
      NIC

      Now, I've read that the nitro sources are pretty good for laptops.
      Anyone that has an 8600 could you tell me of your experiences with
      different kernels? Also, does anyone have .config and xorg.conf
      files handy that would save me some time?

      My current compiler flags are the safe pentium 3 flags from
      freehackers.org.

      I'm actually pretty far on the install. Started at stage 1 and have
      it bootstrapped and moving from stage 2 to stage 3. Paused at the
      moment since I'm not sure the ACPI and most importantly fan control
      and CPU frequency scaling are running correctly. Don't want to burn
      up my new laptop doing a compile without me there to monitor.

      Also, currently I have my /dev/hda2 (Windows XP Home) as the
      boot... Rather Windows did it after I resized and reinstalled, but
      I hadn't done the linux install yet, obviously.

      I can just use fdisk to move the boot flag to /dev/hda3, right,
      without losing any data?
    • ken
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
        danielluera@... wrote:

        >Also, currently I have my /dev/hda2 (Windows XP Home) as the
        >boot... Rather Windows did it after I resized and reinstalled, but
        >I hadn't done the linux install yet, obviously.
        >
        >I can just use fdisk to move the boot flag to /dev/hda3, right,
        >without losing any data?

        If you haven't finished the install yet, I wouldn't mess with that. Let
        the install program do it.

        Also-- very important-- make a boot floppy. I don't know gentoo, but
        most distros I've worked on offer this as an option at the end of an
        install. (Or maybe gentoo has a bootable CD with rescue apps on it?)

        ken

        --
        Reality is complicated.
        Bush is simple.
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
          danielluera@... wrote:

          >>Also, currently I have my /dev/hda2 (Windows XP Home) as the
          >>boot... Rather Windows did it after I resized and reinstalled, but
          >>I hadn't done the linux install yet, obviously.
          >>
          >>I can just use fdisk to move the boot flag to /dev/hda3, right,
          >>without losing any data?

          That sounds about right, the only thing that might happen if you're
          wrong is "os not found" type bios errors - just reboot with the gentoo
          cd diagnose/fix the problem.

          Good luck!
        • danielluera@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
            Thanks for the response, but in gentoo there is not install program,
            per se. You do it all yourself.

            One of the benefits to this is that I didn't run into the 2.6 kernel
            drive geometry problems that have occured with other distro. Also, I
            didn't opt for a floppy drive, so a boot floppy would have been rather
            pointless. *grin*

            Anyways, for any that are concerned, this does work. Merely firing up
            the install disc and then using fdisk to change the boot flag works
            great. The only caveat is that you have to take the boot flag off of
            the Windows XP partition as well. I didn't test to see what would
            happen if I had two boot flags active at the same time. What can I
            say, I'm not THAT brave.

            So, for any that are wondering... My steps were...

            fdisk /dev/hda

            I left /dev/hda1 alone
            I resized /dev/hda2 to 30 GB
            I then set /dev/hda3 to 64M (I'm using ext3 thus the double sized boot)
            /dev/hda4 to 1024M
            /dev/hda5 to remainder of disk

            Once this was done I then reinstalled Windows XP on /dev/hda2 and let
            it do the formatting of the partition before the install. This then
            set /dev/hda2 with the boot flag.

            After Windows was reinstalled I then changed the bios options to boot
            from the DVDROM and placed the gentoo CD in.

            After I worked through the stage 1 install I then rebooted with the CD
            still in place and then used fdisk to change the boot flag.

            System works flawlessly now.