Re: [linux-dell-laptops] RedHat 'fisher' on I8000

  • bvermeul@blackstar.nl
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1 1:15 AM
      > Anyone have any luck installing the newly released RedHat 7.0.90
      > (codenamed fisher) on an Inspiron 8000?
      >
      > I burned the .iso images and attempted an install, but my computer
      > automatically powers down when RedHat is "searching for PC Cards..."

      Did you file a bugreport? This is a beta, so they can still fix it...

      Regards,

      Bas Vermeulen
      --
      "God, root, what is difference?"
      -- Pitr, User Friendly

      "God is more forgiving."
      -- Dave Aronson
    • Matthew Geier
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 2:39 PM
        Anish Patel wrote:

        > Anyone have any luck installing the newly released RedHat 7.0.90
        > (codenamed fisher) on an Inspiron 8000?
        >
        > I burned the .iso images and attempted an install, but my computer
        > automatically powers down when RedHat is "searching for PC Cards..."
        >
        > I'd appreciate some pointers if anyone gets this to work.

        Is 'fisher' based on 2.4.0 ?. If so I think it has major PCMCIA
        problems. My Latidue C600 locks hard when I plug in a CF card under
        2.4.0. Worked fine on plain RH 7.0.

        Have you got any cards plugged in ?. If so, try it with them removed.

        2.4.0 had a major 'hotplug' bug with USB that Im aware of, since
        PCMCIA/CardBus is also a 'hotplug' bus, maybe it is affected as well.

        Im abount to try 2.4.1 on the C600. (As soon as CVS finishes, its build
        time...)

        --
        Matthew Geier matthew@...
        Arts IT Unit +61 2 9351 4713