x video problem with i815e

  • moon2js
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 26, 2004
      I'm using an Inspiron 2500, and in all video, the picture is displayed
      so that the left is on the right and the right is on the left and
      there is a bar going down the third vertical quater of the screen.
      Sometimes depending on mouse/x activity, the screen (full or windowed)
      just goes blank/blue.

      I've noticed most of the messages on this board relate to more recent
      Dell models, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same
      situation. I've been told that this video card is unsupported and
      Google continues to be fruitless.

      Any suggestions?
    • Alexandre Tessier
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 26, 2004
        moon2js wrote:

        > I'm using an Inspiron 2500, and in all video, the picture is displayed
        > so that the left is on the right and the right is on the left and

        You should look with a mirror ;-)

        More seriously, what is your video card?

        > there is a bar going down the third vertical quater of the screen.
        > Sometimes depending on mouse/x activity, the screen (full or windowed)
        > just goes blank/blue.
        >
        > I've noticed most of the messages on this board relate to more recent
        > Dell models, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same
        > situation. I've been told that this video card is unsupported and
        > Google continues to be fruitless.
        >
        > Any suggestions?

        http://www.univ-orleans.fr/SCIENCES/LIFO/Members/tessier/
        tel LIFO: +33 (0)238494670 tel IUFM: +33 (0)238798417
      • [Lx]-=Mystify=-
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 26, 2004
          hi...

          does anyone have an inspiron with FIR irda working?

          I read here (http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~mas582/Linux/hardware.htm#irda) that
          the module 'smsc-ircc2' should work with the i8500, but everytime I try to
          load the module I get:
          FATAL: Error inserting smsc_ircc2
          (/lib/modules/2.6.7/kernel/drivers/net/irda/smsc-ircc2.ko): No such device

          on that page is also mentioned that you have to enable FIR in the BIOS, but
          the only IRDA stuff I can change in the BIOS is the COM port the IRDA is
          connected to...

          can anyone help me more?

          mfg
          OR
        • mchristoph.eckert@t-online.de
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 26, 2004
          • ken
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 27, 2004
              moon2js wrote:

              >I'm using an Inspiron 2500, and in all video, the picture is displayed
              >so that the left is on the right and the right is on the left and
              >there is a bar going down the third vertical quater of the screen.
              >Sometimes depending on mouse/x activity, the screen (full or windowed)
              >just goes blank/blue.
              >
              >I've noticed most of the messages on this board relate to more recent
              >Dell models, but I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same
              >situation. I've been told that this video card is unsupported and
              >Google continues to be fruitless.
              >
              >Any suggestions?

              You're probably closer to getting it working that it appears. The
              rasterization is off in your monitor configuration, more specifically
              the horizontal sync.

              In a non-interlaced monitor the electron gun shoots a line from left to
              right across the very top of the screen, stops shooting, goes back to
              the left, shoots another line across to the right, stops, retraces back
              to the left, shoots another line, and so on until it gets to the bottom
              of the screen, then it stops shooting and does a vertical retrace back
              up to the top of the screen and starts it all over again. From your
              description, the vertical sync sounds fine. The band you're getting down
              the middle is called, IIRC, the horizontal guard period, i.e., the time
              when the electron gun stops shooting in order to do its retrace.
              (There's also a vertical guard period to stop shooting colors during the
              vertical retrace.) The Linux code for spraying the monitor with
              electrons can't control when the beam of electrons moves, but can only
              jump in and start feeding colors-- and stop feeding colors-- at the
              correct times. In your case, it's not doing that. It's timings are
              off. Back around '92 and '93 I could have told you which line in which
              file to tinker with, but a lot has changed in the X server since then.
              You probably need the source code. But I would first try something like

              find /usr/X11R6/lib/Server/drivers -type f -exec grep -H
              'horizontal\|vertical\|sync' {} \;

              But it might be simpler than that. Maybe you've just got the wrong
              driver installed.

              Now there's also GUI tools available for configuring the screen. Try
              xvidtune. There's probably a few others too.

              Good luck,
              ken

              --
              Reality is complicated.
              Bush is simple.
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 28, 2004
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
                <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:

                > > so that the left is on the right and the right is on the left and
                >
                > You should look with a mirror ;-)

                I wish I could, but the problem doesn't include reversing anything.
                And parts of the image are "displayed" off screen, so even if I had a
                complex array of mirrors, I still wouldn't have the full image.

                > More seriously, what is your video card?

                Intel 815 video adapter integrated into the chipset. It's similar to
                the Intel 810, which is the driver that the box was automatically set
                up with.
              • moon2js
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 29, 2004
                  --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
                  > You're probably closer to getting it working that it appears. The
                  > rasterization is off in your monitor configuration, more
                  specifically
                  > the horizontal sync.
                  >
                  > In a non-interlaced monitor the electron gun shoots a line from
                  left to
                  > right across the very top of the screen, stops shooting, goes back
                  > the left, shoots another line across to the right, stops, retraces
                  back
                  > to the left, shoots another line, and so on until it gets to the
                  bottom
                  > of the screen, then it stops shooting and does a vertical retrace
                  back
                  > up to the top of the screen and starts it all over again. From
                  your
                  > description, the vertical sync sounds fine. The band you're getting
                  down
                  > the middle is called, IIRC, the horizontal guard period, i.e., the
                  time
                  > when the electron gun stops shooting in order to do its retrace.
                  > (There's also a vertical guard period to stop shooting colors during
                  the
                  > vertical retrace.) The Linux code for spraying the monitor with
                  > electrons can't control when the beam of electrons moves, but can
                  only
                  > jump in and start feeding colors-- and stop feeding colors-- at the
                  > correct times. In your case, it's not doing that. It's timings
                  are
                  > off. Back around '92 and '93 I could have told you which line in
                  which
                  > file to tinker with, but a lot has changed in the X server since
                  then.
                  > You probably need the source code. But I would first try something
                  like

                  > find /usr/X11R6/lib/Server/drivers -type f -exec grep -H
                  > 'horizontal\|vertical\|sync' {} \;

                  That certainly seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing. But the
                  ditrectory tree on my system is different from the one you describe.
                  So I can't poke around as you've suggested.

                  > But it might be simpler than that. Maybe you've just got the wrong
                  > driver installed.

                  I really wish it were simply a matter of a driver, but I have a
                  feeling I'm using the right one. For every distro I've tried on this
                  system and all online documentation I've seen suggest that I should
                  use the i810 driver for this 815em video card.

                  > Now there's also GUI tools available for configuring the screen.
                  Try
                  > xvidtune. There's probably a few others too.

                  I ran xvidtune, but as I'm rather new to all this, I was hesitant to
                  mess with things. Graphically, everything works fine EXCEPT video, and
                  given my lack of experience, I'm afraid to rock the boat.

                  When I get back to my system, I'll poke around it again, but is there
                  any resources that I could take a look at so I have an idea of what I
                  have to change? It's got to be more difficult than just pulling the
                  xvidtune's "horizontal" bar...
                • ken
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 30, 2004
                    moon2js wrote:

                    >--- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:
                    >

                    >> <>But I would first try something like
                    >
                    >>find /usr/X11R6/lib/Server/drivers -type f -exec grep -H \
                    >>'horizontal\|vertical\|sync' {} \;
                    >>

                    >That certainly seems to be exactly what I'm experiencing. But the
                    >ditrectory tree on my system is different from the one you describe.
                    >So I can't poke around as you've suggested.

                    Well then, do

                    find / -ipath \*/drivers/\* |less

                    and scroll through the output to see if there's anything under a
                    directory called 'X' or 'xorg' or 'X11R6', note the directories and
                    modify the starting point for the above 'find' command accordingly.

                    >>But it might be simpler than that. Maybe you've just got the wrong
                    >>driver installed.
                    >>

                    >I really wish it were simply a matter of a driver, but I have a
                    >feeling I'm using the right one. For every distro I've tried on this
                    >system and all online documentation I've seen suggest that I should
                    >use the i810 driver for this 815em video card.

                    Have you googled around for your specific video card? There must be
                    someone else on the planet who has been trying to run Linux on it.

                    >>Now there's also GUI tools available for configuring the screen.
                    >>

                    >Try
                    >

                    >>xvidtune. There's probably a few others too.
                    >>

                    >I ran xvidtune, but as I'm rather new to all this, I was hesitant to
                    >mess with things. Graphically, everything works fine EXCEPT video, and
                    >given my lack of experience, I'm afraid to rock the boat.
                    >
                    >When I get back to my system, I'll poke around it again, but is there
                    >any resources that I could take a look at so I have an idea of what I
                    >have to change? It's got to be more difficult than just pulling the
                    >xvidtune's "horizontal" bar...

                    I think that way quite a bit... dismiss a course of action because it
                    seems impossibly easy. So I understand perfectly what you're going
                    through. So how about we do this...

                    Edit /etc/initab, specifically the line which says "id:5:initdefault:";
                    change the '5' to a '3'. This will make your system boot to the console
                    rather than into X. (Of course to get it to boot back into X, reverse
                    this change.) But then while you're still in X, try "xvidtune". If it
                    messes things up, you can do a nice reboot ("man shutdown") into the
                    console (no X), still use your system, albeit without the GUI, and
                    reinstall X. If the drive for difficulty is really strong, you could
                    even do the reinstall from source code. As said previously, I haven't
                    used gentoo (though have done a bit of Debian), so couldn't assist much
                    with the reinstall.

                    hth,
                    ken

                    --
                    Reality is complicated.
                    Bush is simple.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 1, 2004
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, ken <gebser@s...> wrote:

                      > Have you googled around for your specific video card? There must
                      be
                      > someone else on the planet who has been trying to run Linux on it.

                      I've been googling all along, and often I find no mention of a video
                      problem, presumably because no one ever tries to watch video files on
                      this system or I did something wrong in installation.

                      However just today, my googling got a little better and I've found a
                      number of (ancient) references on mailing lists to my problem.
                      Unfortunately my video card historically has a number of problems with
                      x, and I'm only experiencing ONE of them, so I'm currently in the
                      process of wading through all these google hits, and tracking down the
                      ones that apply to me and futhermore, if they've been solved in the
                      past year or two.

                      But I do see some mention of using x11 instead of xv as video out as a
                      workaround, and I did this in the past, and it does indeed work if a
                      little bit choppy at times. I'm wondering, what's the difference
                      performance-wise between playing video in x11 versus xv on this older
                      Dell laptop with motherboard integrated sound and video controllers?

                      Is there any advantage to using xv over x11? And if there isn't one,
                      does anyone know how to change the video out to x11 in xine/totem?

                      > I think that way quite a bit... dismiss a course of action because
                      it
                      > seems impossibly easy. So I understand perfectly what you're going
                      > through. So how about we do this...
                      >
                      > Edit /etc/initab, specifically the line which says
                      "id:5:initdefault:";
                      > change the '5' to a '3'. This will make your system boot to the
                      console
                      > rather than into X. (Of course to get it to boot back into X,
                      reverse
                      > this change.) But then while you're still in X, try "xvidtune".
                      If it
                      > messes things up, you can do a nice reboot ("man shutdown") into
                      the
                      > console (no X), still use your system, albeit without the GUI, and
                      > reinstall X. If the drive for difficulty is really strong, you
                      could
                      > even do the reinstall from source code. As said previously, I
                      haven't
                      > used gentoo (though have done a bit of Debian), so couldn't assist
                      much
                      > with the reinstall.

                      I'm using Ubuntu, not Gentoo, but they're both Debian-based. I think
                      Ubuntu is more like a more user-friendly Debian.

                      I've always wondered about laptop LCDs. I know they are physically
                      different from CRTs and mechanically work differently, but how do they
                      differ in regards to X setup and config? I have never seen any
                      documentation mentioning LCDs or how they should be setup. Most
                      documentation assumes I have a CRT.

                      And is there any danger of damaging my laptop's LCD with a bad config
                      (as all documentation warns)?