Re: [linux-dell-laptops] 3D acceleration on I5Ke

  • bvermeul@blackstar.nl
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
      On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Zachary M. Loafman wrote:

      > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.

      So, how DID you get it working? I'm definately interested...

      > The glxinfo line should actually read:
      >
      > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
      >
      > if your DRI is working. Also, the "gears" example should run at a
      > ridiculous rate (I get >700 fps).

      Regards,

      Bas Vermeulen

      --
      "God, root, what is difference?"
      -- Pitr, User Friendly

      "God is more forgiving."
      -- Dave Aronson
    • fukbill@mail.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
        > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.
        >
        > The glxinfo line should actually read:
        >
        > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

        I understand that the string should read as above, what I was asking(I
        probably should have put it more directly) was how do I switch to Mesa
        DRI (Blah Blah)?? Everything else is setup. X4.0.2 reports that DRI
        is enabled and all the trouble shooting tips in the DRI User's guide
        report correctly. Any ideas?(And no Debian cop outs)
      • Zach Loafman
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
          fukbill@... writes:

          > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.
          > >
          > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
          > >
          > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
          > >

          > I understand that the string should read as above, what I was asking(I
          > probably should have put it more directly) was how do I switch to Mesa
          > DRI (Blah Blah)?? Everything else is setup. X4.0.2 reports that DRI
          > is enabled and all the trouble shooting tips in the DRI User's guide
          > report correctly. Any ideas?(And no Debian cop outs)

          You don't "switch it". It either works or it doesn't. :)

          Did you modprobe the r128 kernel module?
          Does dmesg should the agp and r128 stuff loading?

          You should see something like this in dmesg:

          Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
          agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
          agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
          agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
          [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
          [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

          Also, you need need need the DRM modules that are present in 2.4 (or
          you need to patch 2.2.18), the DRM stuff in 2.2.18 is version 1.0.

          --
          Zachary M. Loafman
        • fukbill@mail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
            --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Zach Loafman <zml@z...> wrote:
            > fukbill@m... writes:
            >
            > > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just
            fine.

            > > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
            > > >
            > > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
            > > >

            > > I understand that the string should read as above, what I was
            asking(I
            > > probably should have put it more directly) was how do I switch to
            Mesa
            > > DRI (Blah Blah)?? Everything else is setup. X4.0.2 reports that
            DRI
            > > is enabled and all the trouble shooting tips in the DRI User's
            guide
            > > report correctly. Any ideas?(And no Debian cop outs)
            >
            > You don't "switch it". It either works or it doesn't. :)
            >
            > Did you modprobe the r128 kernel module?
            > Does dmesg should the agp and r128 stuff loading?
            >
            > You should see something like this in dmesg:
            >
            > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
            > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
            > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
            > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
            > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
            > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
            >
            > Also, you need need need the DRM modules that are present in 2.4 (or
            > you need to patch 2.2.18), the DRM stuff in 2.2.18 is version 1.0.
            >
            > --
            > Zachary M. Loafman

            Hmmm
            I switched it.... And it worked.*Thanks god*
            The problem was not with kernel modules(I stated that I had gone
            through all aspects of the trouble shooting section of the DRI user's
            Guid(a piece of crap section if you ask me)) I had all kernel modules
            loaded and everything but glxinfo reported fine.

            The problem was with symlinks in /usr/X11R6/lib
            libGL.so
            and libGL.so.1
            were pointing to different versions of OpenGL so I removed those
            symlinks and gave her a:
            ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so
            ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so.1
            then when I ran glxinfo *BAM* it began to report Mesa DRI ATI blah
            blah

            Advice to all struggling DRI seekers out there:
            Check your symlinks if everything else is reporting ok except glxinfo
          • fukbill@mail.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
              Sorry Zach, I did not mean to sound cynical or mean. I have just been
              studying and messing with my computer all week. Sorry man.
            • Mark Dorset
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                Hmm, since it's the topic at the moment....

                > > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.
                > > >
                > > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
                > > >
                > > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

                $ glxinfo | grep DRI
                OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

                > You should see something like this in dmesg:
                >
                > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
                > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
                > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

                $ dmesg | grep agp
                Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
                agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000

                $ dmesg | grep drm
                [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

                $ uname -a
                Linux markd 2.4.0 #1 Thu Jan 11 15:14:11 EST 2001 i686 unknown

                from my /var/log/XFree86.0.log;

                (II) R128(0): [drm] Added 128 16384 byte vertex/indirect buffers
                (II) R128(0): [drm] Mapped 128 vertex/indirect buffers
                (II) R128(0): Direct rendering enabled

                When I try and run anything involved 3d type stuff the machine hangs
                totally. No keyboard input (not even ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-f1), no
                screen movement (including pointer)...

                Any suggestions?

                regards,
                Mark
              • Zach Loafman
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                  fukbill@... wrote:

                  > Sorry Zach, I did not mean to sound cynical or mean. I have just been
                  > studying and messing with my computer all week. Sorry man.

                  No worries. DRI took me a little while because I didn't notice the
                  complaints about DRI version mismatches coming from the 2.2.18 kernel..
                  when it was all working, it was kinda cool. TuxRacer is far too cute for
                  its own good.

                  ...Zach
                • dell-linux@aaman.net
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2001
                    --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Mark Dorset <markd@i...> wrote:
                    > Hmm, since it's the topic at the moment....

                    > $ glxinfo | grep DRI
                    > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
                    >
                    > > You should see something like this in dmesg:
                    > >
                    > > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                    > > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
                    > > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                    > > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
                    > > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                    > > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
                    >
                    > $ dmesg | grep agp
                    > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                    > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
                    > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                    > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
                    >
                    > $ dmesg | grep drm
                    > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                    > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
                    >
                    > $ uname -a
                    > Linux markd 2.4.0 #1 Thu Jan 11 15:14:11 EST 2001 i686 unknown
                    >
                    > from my /var/log/XFree86.0.log;
                    >
                    > (II) R128(0): [drm] Added 128 16384 byte vertex/indirect buffers
                    > (II) R128(0): [drm] Mapped 128 vertex/indirect buffers
                    > (II) R128(0): Direct rendering enabled
                    >
                    > When I try and run anything involved 3d type stuff the machine hangs
                    > totally. No keyboard input (not even ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-f1),
                    no
                    > screen movement (including pointer)...
                    >
                    > Any suggestions?

                    The same thing happens to me, except I am running an I8K. The first
                    problem is that the agpgart reports 2x instead of 4x. Everything looks
                    great but when you run something that utilizes openGL everything
                    hangs. This bug has been reported to the DRI project (at sourceforge),
                    but I have not seen any comments to it! The problem is probably in the
                    kernel module r128 (may have something todo with it beeing M4 and not
                    M3 perhaps?)

                    / Daniel