Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Digest Number 1916

  • ken
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2004
      Jack Schneider wrote:

      >Message: 2
      > Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:29:22 -0800
      > From: Marc Chamberlin <marcc@...>
      >Subject: Roaming wireless networks
      >
      >Hello -
      >
      >I am using SUSE 9.1 distro with the KDE desktop on a Dell Inspiron 8100
      >laptop. I have set it up successfully to use a wireless LAN at my home
      >but now I want to add to capability to roam to different networks and
      >easily connect to them. I don't see how this can be done with any of the
      >tools so that a wireless network can be selected (in a fashion similar
      >to Windows which automatically identifies all wireless networks visible
      >and allows you to select the one you wish to join) Can anyone tell me
      >how (what tool to use) to configure SuSE so that it retains info about
      >different wireless networks that I may use from time to time and easily
      >select/join them? Thanks for any help/advise...
      >
      > Marc...
      >

      >TRY Kismet
      >
      >kismetwireless.net
      >
      >Jack

      Also check out iwtools and iwlist and others. They're all probably
      already installed on your system and they all have manpages with them.
      The manpages also tell of other related commands.

      Then it's just a matter of running the appropriate commands for the
      particular place you're at. If you can put them into a script, all the
      better.

      I think Mandrake 10.1 CE has all this stuff built in. I'm still working
      on that part though, so can't explain much about it right now.

      hth,
      ken

      --
      Reality is complicated.