RedHat 'fisher' on I8000

  • Anish Patel
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2001
      Anyone have any luck installing the newly released RedHat 7.0.90
      (codenamed fisher) on an Inspiron 8000?

      I burned the .iso images and attempted an install, but my computer
      automatically powers down when RedHat is "searching for PC Cards..."

      I'd appreciate some pointers if anyone gets this to work.
    • bvermeul@blackstar.nl
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        > Anyone have any luck installing the newly released RedHat 7.0.90
        > (codenamed fisher) on an Inspiron 8000?
        >
        > I burned the .iso images and attempted an install, but my computer
        > automatically powers down when RedHat is "searching for PC Cards..."

        Did you file a bugreport? This is a beta, so they can still fix it...

        Regards,

        Bas Vermeulen
        --
        "God, root, what is difference?"
        -- Pitr, User Friendly

        "God is more forgiving."
        -- Dave Aronson
      • Matthew Geier
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
          Anish Patel wrote:

          > Anyone have any luck installing the newly released RedHat 7.0.90
          > (codenamed fisher) on an Inspiron 8000?
          >
          > I burned the .iso images and attempted an install, but my computer
          > automatically powers down when RedHat is "searching for PC Cards..."
          >
          > I'd appreciate some pointers if anyone gets this to work.

          Is 'fisher' based on 2.4.0 ?. If so I think it has major PCMCIA
          problems. My Latidue C600 locks hard when I plug in a CF card under
          2.4.0. Worked fine on plain RH 7.0.

          Have you got any cards plugged in ?. If so, try it with them removed.

          2.4.0 had a major 'hotplug' bug with USB that Im aware of, since
          PCMCIA/CardBus is also a 'hotplug' bus, maybe it is affected as well.

          Im abount to try 2.4.1 on the C600. (As soon as CVS finishes, its build
          time...)

          --
          Matthew Geier matthew@...
          Arts IT Unit +61 2 9351 4713