Dell 5000e, looking for a small hard drive distro

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2004
      I have a Dell 5000e as stated in the subject line. I have been using
      windows 2000 on it, but with only 64mb of ram, it is super slow to
      boot up and everything I do, it's hitting the hard drive like crazy.

      I decided to try and find a stripped down version of linux to put on
      it, with KDE. All I really use it for is surfing the net using my
      either my wired, or wireless linksys cards. I tried some of the Damn
      Small Linux, but couldn't get cfdisk to work. I think it was because
      of the NTFS partition. So I used fdisk (DOS version) to remove the
      partition and then used a Knoppix live CD and cfdisk to setup linux
      and swap partitions.

      Anyway, just trying to find a medium to light weight version of linux
      with KDE to run from the hard drive on my old laptop. Any suggestions,

      Thanks,

      Greg