3D acceleration on I5Ke

  • fukbill@mail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2001
      Is it just me or is the DRI-User's Guide nearly useless. In the
      troubleshooting section it tells you to check glxinfo for: "OpenGL
      renderer string: ". They say it should be something like Mesa DRI
      ....., but mine is Mesa X11. All the other test in the guide work out
      fine, but I am using Mesa X11 not Mesa DRI. How can I solve
      this??(The User's Guide offers no solution)
    • Zachary M. Loafman
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 31, 2001
        DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.

        The glxinfo line should actually read:

        OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

        if your DRI is working. Also, the "gears" example should run at a
        ridiculous rate (I get >700 fps).

      • bvermeul@blackstar.nl
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
          On Wed, 31 Jan 2001, Zachary M. Loafman wrote:

          > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.

          So, how DID you get it working? I'm definately interested...

          > The glxinfo line should actually read:
          >
          > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
          >
          > if your DRI is working. Also, the "gears" example should run at a
          > ridiculous rate (I get >700 fps).

          Regards,

          Bas Vermeulen

          --
          "God, root, what is difference?"
          -- Pitr, User Friendly

          "God is more forgiving."
          -- Dave Aronson
        • fukbill@mail.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
            > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.
            >
            > The glxinfo line should actually read:
            >
            > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

            I understand that the string should read as above, what I was asking(I
            probably should have put it more directly) was how do I switch to Mesa
            DRI (Blah Blah)?? Everything else is setup. X4.0.2 reports that DRI
            is enabled and all the trouble shooting tips in the DRI User's guide
            report correctly. Any ideas?(And no Debian cop outs)
          • Zach Loafman
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
              fukbill@... writes:

              > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.
              > >
              > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
              > >
              > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
              > >

              > I understand that the string should read as above, what I was asking(I
              > probably should have put it more directly) was how do I switch to Mesa
              > DRI (Blah Blah)?? Everything else is setup. X4.0.2 reports that DRI
              > is enabled and all the trouble shooting tips in the DRI User's guide
              > report correctly. Any ideas?(And no Debian cop outs)

              You don't "switch it". It either works or it doesn't. :)

              Did you modprobe the r128 kernel module?
              Does dmesg should the agp and r128 stuff loading?

              You should see something like this in dmesg:

              Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
              agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
              agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
              agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
              [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
              [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

              Also, you need need need the DRM modules that are present in 2.4 (or
              you need to patch 2.2.18), the DRM stuff in 2.2.18 is version 1.0.

              --
              Zachary M. Loafman
            • fukbill@mail.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Zach Loafman <zml@z...> wrote:
                > fukbill@m... writes:
                >
                > > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just
                fine.

                > > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
                > > >
                > > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
                > > >

                > > I understand that the string should read as above, what I was
                asking(I
                > > probably should have put it more directly) was how do I switch to
                Mesa
                > > DRI (Blah Blah)?? Everything else is setup. X4.0.2 reports that
                DRI
                > > is enabled and all the trouble shooting tips in the DRI User's
                guide
                > > report correctly. Any ideas?(And no Debian cop outs)
                >
                > You don't "switch it". It either works or it doesn't. :)
                >
                > Did you modprobe the r128 kernel module?
                > Does dmesg should the agp and r128 stuff loading?
                >
                > You should see something like this in dmesg:
                >
                > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
                > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
                > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
                >
                > Also, you need need need the DRM modules that are present in 2.4 (or
                > you need to patch 2.2.18), the DRM stuff in 2.2.18 is version 1.0.
                >
                > --
                > Zachary M. Loafman

                Hmmm
                I switched it.... And it worked.*Thanks god*
                The problem was not with kernel modules(I stated that I had gone
                through all aspects of the trouble shooting section of the DRI user's
                Guid(a piece of crap section if you ask me)) I had all kernel modules
                loaded and everything but glxinfo reported fine.

                The problem was with symlinks in /usr/X11R6/lib
                libGL.so
                and libGL.so.1
                were pointing to different versions of OpenGL so I removed those
                symlinks and gave her a:
                ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so
                ln -s libGL.so.1.2 libGL.so.1
                then when I ran glxinfo *BAM* it began to report Mesa DRI ATI blah
                blah

                Advice to all struggling DRI seekers out there:
                Check your symlinks if everything else is reporting ok except glxinfo
              • fukbill@mail.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                  Sorry Zach, I did not mean to sound cynical or mean. I have just been
                  studying and messing with my computer all week. Sorry man.
                • Mark Dorset
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                    Hmm, since it's the topic at the moment....

                    > > > DRI was one of the harder things for me to get working just fine.
                    > > >
                    > > > The glxinfo line should actually read:
                    > > >
                    > > > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

                    $ glxinfo | grep DRI
                    OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86

                    > You should see something like this in dmesg:
                    >
                    > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                    > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
                    > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                    > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
                    > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                    > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

                    $ dmesg | grep agp
                    Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                    agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
                    agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                    agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000

                    $ dmesg | grep drm
                    [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                    [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63

                    $ uname -a
                    Linux markd 2.4.0 #1 Thu Jan 11 15:14:11 EST 2001 i686 unknown

                    from my /var/log/XFree86.0.log;

                    (II) R128(0): [drm] Added 128 16384 byte vertex/indirect buffers
                    (II) R128(0): [drm] Mapped 128 vertex/indirect buffers
                    (II) R128(0): Direct rendering enabled

                    When I try and run anything involved 3d type stuff the machine hangs
                    totally. No keyboard input (not even ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-f1), no
                    screen movement (including pointer)...

                    Any suggestions?

                    regards,
                    Mark
                  • Zach Loafman
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 1, 2001
                      fukbill@... wrote:

                      > Sorry Zach, I did not mean to sound cynical or mean. I have just been
                      > studying and messing with my computer all week. Sorry man.

                      No worries. DRI took me a little while because I didn't notice the
                      complaints about DRI version mismatches coming from the 2.2.18 kernel..
                      when it was all working, it was kinda cool. TuxRacer is far too cute for
                      its own good.

                      ...Zach
                    • dell-linux@aaman.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 3, 2001
                        --- In linux-dell-laptops@y..., Mark Dorset <markd@i...> wrote:
                        > Hmm, since it's the topic at the moment....

                        > $ glxinfo | grep DRI
                        > OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Rage128 20001215 M3 AGP 2x x86
                        >
                        > > You should see something like this in dmesg:
                        > >
                        > > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                        > > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
                        > > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                        > > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
                        > > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                        > > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
                        >
                        > $ dmesg | grep agp
                        > Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
                        > agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 94M
                        > agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
                        > agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe0000000
                        >
                        > $ dmesg | grep drm
                        > [drm] AGP 0.99 on Intel 440BX @ 0xe0000000 64MB
                        > [drm] Initialized r128 2.1.2 20001215 on minor 63
                        >
                        > $ uname -a
                        > Linux markd 2.4.0 #1 Thu Jan 11 15:14:11 EST 2001 i686 unknown
                        >
                        > from my /var/log/XFree86.0.log;
                        >
                        > (II) R128(0): [drm] Added 128 16384 byte vertex/indirect buffers
                        > (II) R128(0): [drm] Mapped 128 vertex/indirect buffers
                        > (II) R128(0): Direct rendering enabled
                        >
                        > When I try and run anything involved 3d type stuff the machine hangs
                        > totally. No keyboard input (not even ctrl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-f1),
                        no
                        > screen movement (including pointer)...
                        >
                        > Any suggestions?

                        The same thing happens to me, except I am running an I8K. The first
                        problem is that the agpgart reports 2x instead of 4x. Everything looks
                        great but when you run something that utilizes openGL everything
                        hangs. This bug has been reported to the DRI project (at sourceforge),
                        but I have not seen any comments to it! The problem is probably in the
                        kernel module r128 (may have something todo with it beeing M4 and not
                        M3 perhaps?)

                        / Daniel