FC3, Linuxant, stock kernel (2.6.9-1.667) and 4k stacks

  • Don Levey
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2004
      I was able to download Fedora Core 3 on Monday, and so yesterday like a
      dutiful
      husband I went to upgrade my wife's laptop yesterday (Dell Inspiron 1100,
      with D-Link DWL-G650 wireless card). Previously (FC1), the wireless card
      was working with the Linuxant package (I tried both ndiswrapper and madwifi
      and was unable to get either to work), so I wanted to continue using it in
      FC3.

      However, trying to update the drivers via their browser interface and then
      add license information froze the entire machine. There is indeed a
      command-line interface to add license info, and this *seems* to take the new
      license info without a problem, but it doesn't "stick". Running the info
      command shows that I am still lacking license info. Trying to run the diag
      dump command returns a stack trace, at which point the whole machine
      freezes. Needless to say, the card isn't working properly in linux (though
      it is in WinXP - this is a dual-boot machine).

      I therefore contacted Linuxant support. It appears that the decision to go
      to 4k stacks has caused them some consternation; they've recommended
      replacing/patching the kernel. I asked about possible support for 4k stacks
      in the future, and got this response:

      "we have implemented a stack workaround in DriverLoader but unfortunately it
      doesn't work on the Fedora Core 3 kernel because there are other
      problematic patches inserted into this kernel.

      The only solution now available is to use our own 16K stacks kernel which
      is basically a Fedora Core 3 kernel which we added a 16K stacks patch and
      removed other problematic patches like the 4G/4G patch."

      Therefore, the suggestion is to:

      1) Download a vanilla kernel from kernel.org and apply the following patch:
      http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/archive/linux-2.6.9-16kstacks
      .patch

      2) Potentially use the 2.6.9-1.667 source from the Fedora CD/download, and
      patch that (as above).

      3) They have what may be a pre-patched 2.6.9 kernel on their site:
      http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/wlan/full/archive/driverloader-2.09/dri
      verloader-2.09_k2.6.9_1.667-1fdr.i686.rpm.zip (or http://tinyurl.com/57oqs)

      I'll try these, in reverse order, tonight if I can, and report back.
      While I'm sure others here will have suggestions and comments, I wanted to
      get this info out so that others who may have a similar problem will be able
      to see this.

      -Don