ndiswrapper on slack10

  • Stefan Koopmanschap
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      Well, I've been searching a bit, and found out that even though I hadn't
      ordered it, the people at Dell supplied me with an Intel pro 2200 card
      instead of a 2100 card. that definately explains why the 2100 drivers
      say the hardware can't be found ;)

      at the moment, I run the 2.4.26 kernel and the 2200 drivers currently
      only support 2.6 kernels. so I've been looking at ndiswrapper to load my
      drivers as I'm a bit wary of kernel upgrades if they're not absolutely
      necessary. I've downloaded the 2200 drivers and extracted the files.
      I've added the driver to ndiswrapper using ndiswrapper -i and
      ndiswrapper -l returns:

      Installed ndis drivers:
      w22n51 driver present, hardware present

      however, the moment I modprobe ndiswrapper, things go wrong. I get no
      error messages in my terminal, but from the moment I modprobe, I can't
      use my keyboard anymore to input any commands. My mouse works fine and I
      can use my apps as normal, but all keyboard input is ignored.

      so I run to my other PC in the network and SSH into my laptop. This
      works fine and I can give a lot of commands. ps aux shows me that
      ndiswrapperloader (or something like that) is running. I can not kill
      this process however, whatever I try. The installation instructions of
      Ndiswrapper do mention this problem, and they also mention that the
      kernel has crashed when this happens. However, I see no solutions for
      slackware systems on the pages they link to as which might contain
      solutions.

      And so I am turning to you guys for support :)

      Is Ndiswrapper the way to go? Or should I get over my fear of breaking
      my system in upgrading to a 2.6 kernel? If I go the ndiswrapper way,
      would anyone have any ideas as to solutions of the problem I am facing
      here? Specifically for slackware 10.0 on a Dell Latitude D505?

      Stefan
    • Haedn Thorn
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
        I've got the 600m w/ ipw2200 and Slack10 w/ 2.6.9 and
        everything runs great :) The scheduling in the 2.6
        kernels is so much better. One thing I ran into that
        is now solved was an error in 'less' (you could
        imagine how horrible that would be) but answering NO
        to CONFIG_LEGACY_PTYS cleared that up.

        --- Stefan Koopmanschap

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/s5T0lB/TM