Re: [linux-dell-laptops] RE: Latitude LS fan

  • Alexandre Tessier
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2004
      IbericoVespucio wrote:
      > Respondiendo a Rosenstrauch, David [[linux-dell-laptops] RE: Latitude LS fan], del 27 de octubre de 2004 a las 14:22:08 (+0100)
      >

      >> [.....] does anyone know if it's possible to get the i8k tools working
      >>on a Latitude LS? Or, if not, then why not?
      >

      > i8k stands for Inspiron 8000. It seems to work also in 8200, 8500, 8600

      i8k works also on Latitude models (at least C800 and C840).

      > although sometimes it is necessary to force it by
      >
      > modprobe i8k force=1
      >
      > I don not know about Latitudes ...
      >

      > Ángel.

    • Rosenstrauch, David
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2004

        Just wanted to post a follow-up on this issue for posterity, since I was
        finally able to find a solution to this problem last night.

        Solution was: boot the kernel with ACPI enabled. Worked like a charm.
        System was able to monitor temperature fine, and had appropriate temperature
        trigger points established when it would kick off the fan.

        I modified my /boot/grub/menu.lst as follows to kick it off:

        kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/discs/disc1/part5 apm=off acpi=force ro single

        Will post this up to linux-on-laptops.com too when I get a moment.

        Thanks again for all the suggestions, everyone.

        DR