2.6.9 and software suspend 2.1

  • bil
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 21, 2004
      I just installed 2.6.9 with the software suspend 2.1 patch and it
      works great. I just remembered that I did not test hibernate yet,
      but suspend works and I was so excited that I had to post the
      results.
    • Ivan Fernandez
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 21, 2004
        On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:34:31PM -0000, bil wrote:

        > I just installed 2.6.9 with the software suspend 2.1 patch and it
        > works great. I just remembered that I did not test hibernate yet,
        > but suspend works and I was so excited that I had to post the
        > results.

        Sounds great, but on which model? with which BIOS revision? I got tired
        of trying on mine a while ago, if someone posts a success, I'll guess
        I'll have to give it a shot again.

        Thanks

        --
        Ivan Fernández
        ivan.fernandez@...
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 22, 2004
          --- Ivan Fernandez <ivan.fernandez@...> wrote:

          > On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:34:31PM -0000, bil wrote:
          > >

          > > I just installed 2.6.9 with the software suspend 2.1 patch and it
          > > works great. I just remembered that I did not test hibernate yet,
          > > but suspend works and I was so excited that I had to post the
          > > results.
          > >
          > Sounds great, but on which model? with which BIOS revision? I got tired
          > of trying on mine a while ago, if someone posts a success, I'll guess
          > I'll have to give it a shot again.

          Sorry about that. It is a Dell D600, BIOS version A12. I tried Hibrinate, but it
          hangs when trying to restore. It should not that that long to recover I think.

          =====
          I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
          All are Welcome to My Domain
          Good to See you again!

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • mpierce
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 22, 2004
            On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:34 pm, Ivan Fernandez wrote:
            > On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:34:31PM -0000, bil wrote:
            > > I just installed 2.6.9 with the software suspend 2.1 patch and it
            > > works great. I just remembered that I did not test hibernate yet,
            > > but suspend works and I was so excited that I had to post the
            > > results.
            >
            > Sounds great, but on which model? with which BIOS revision? I got tired
            > of trying on mine a while ago, if someone posts a success, I'll guess
            > I'll have to give it a shot again.
            I've been unable to get this to work on my I8.1K with a nvidia 32Mb card using
            kernel-2.6.8.1.

            On the SoftwareSuspend site they say newer versions of nVidia's driver, or
            using a 2.6 kernel causes Software Suspend 2 to fail.

            I've now recompiled another kernel and will try the inbuilt acpi suspend.

            What graphics card do you have?

            > Thanks
          • Daevid Vincent
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 22, 2004
              Can someone explain to me why such a basic feature is so troublesome to get
              working?

              I have a i8200 (nvidia 32MB) and dual boot. XP hibernate/suspend works great
              and I use it all the time. I would love the same functionality in Gentoo.

              What is the problem here? why can't it "just work" like it does in XP?
              surely this isn't rocket science, especially hibernate, where it's just
              dumping all of RAM to Disk and loading it again. (suspend seems a bit
              trickier).

              ________________________________

              On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:34 pm, Ivan Fernandez wrote:
              > On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:34:31PM -0000, bil wrote:
              > > I just installed 2.6.9 with the software suspend 2.1 patch and
              it
              > > works great. I just remembered that I did not test hibernate
              yet,
              > > but suspend works and I was so excited that I had to post the
              > > results.
              >
              > Sounds great, but on which model? with which BIOS revision? I got
              tired
              > of trying on mine a while ago, if someone posts a success, I'll
              guess
              > I'll have to give it a shot again.
              I've been unable to get this to work on my I8.1K with a nvidia 32Mb
              card using
              kernel-2.6.8.1.

              On the SoftwareSuspend site they say newer versions of nVidia's
              driver, or
              using a 2.6 kernel causes Software Suspend 2 to fail.

              I've now recompiled another kernel and will try the inbuilt acpi
              suspend.

              What graphics card do you have?

              > Thanks

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              click here
              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129be2l24/M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=gr
              oups/S=1708211820:HM/EXP=1098555143/A=2376776/R=0/SIG=11ldm1jvc/*http://prom
              otions.yahoo.com/ydomains2004/index.html>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=294855.5468653.6549235.3001176/D=groups/S=
              :HM/A=2376776/rand=713297982>

            • bil Jeschke
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 22, 2004
                --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:

                > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 01:34 pm, Ivan Fernandez wrote:
                > > On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:34:31PM -0000, bil wrote:
                > > > I just installed 2.6.9 with the software suspend 2.1 patch and it
                > > > works great. I just remembered that I did not test hibernate yet,
                > > > but suspend works and I was so excited that I had to post the
                > > > results.
                > >
                > > Sounds great, but on which model? with which BIOS revision? I got tired
                > > of trying on mine a while ago, if someone posts a success, I'll guess
                > > I'll have to give it a shot again.
                > I've been unable to get this to work on my I8.1K with a nvidia 32Mb card using
                > kernel-2.6.8.1.
                >
                > On the SoftwareSuspend site they say newer versions of nVidia's driver, or
                > using a 2.6 kernel causes Software Suspend 2 to fail.
                >
                > I've now recompiled another kernel and will try the inbuilt acpi suspend.
                >
                > What graphics card do you have?
                > >
                > > Thanks

                I have a ATI M9, 9000.
                2.6.9 also breaks the nVidia driver, but there is a 1 line hack that can be added to
                the kernel source to get it working again, but I have not tried this on my other
                machine yet.

                =====

                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 22, 2004
                  On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 04:20 am, bil Jeschke wrote:
                  > --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Sounds great, but on which model? with which BIOS revision? I got
                  > > > tired of trying on mine a while ago, if someone posts a success, I'll
                  > > > guess I'll have to give it a shot again.
                  > >
                  > > I've been unable to get this to work on my I8.1K with a nvidia 32Mb card
                  > > using kernel-2.6.8.1.
                  > >
                  > > On the SoftwareSuspend site they say newer versions of nVidia's driver,
                  > > or using a 2.6 kernel causes Software Suspend 2 to fail.
                  > >
                  > > I've now recompiled another kernel and will try the inbuilt acpi suspend.
                  > >
                  > > What graphics card do you have?
                  > >
                  > > > Thanks
                  >
                  > I have a ATI M9, 9000.
                  > 2.6.9 also breaks the nVidia driver, but there is a 1 line hack that can be
                  > added to the kernel source to get it working again, but I have not tried
                  > this on my other machine yet.
                  What is the hack?

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 22, 2004
                    ---edit---
                    --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:
                    > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 04:20 am, bil Jeschke wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have a ATI M9, 9000.
                    > > 2.6.9 also breaks the nVidia driver, but there is a 1 line hack that can be
                    > > added to the kernel source to get it working again, but I have not tried
                    > > this on my other machine yet.
                    > What is the hack?

                    For Genntoo, emerge sync && emerge nvidia-kernel is supposed to work according to a
                    post I read.

                    http://ngc891.blogdns.net/index.php?2004/09/21/3-patched-nvidia-drivers someone made
                    patched nVidia drivers to fix the problem.

                    And, http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.9/2.6.9-ck1/patches/nvidia_compat.diff is
                    a patch for the kernel if you don't wan to load the patched nvidia driver. This guy
                    is a kernel developer so I am willing to trust the patch on my other box when I get
                    the time to install 2.6.9.

                    =====
                    I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
                    All are Welcome to My Domain
                    Good to See you again!

                    http://messenger.yahoo.com
                  • mhedges333
                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 12 1:56 PM
                      --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, bil Jeschke <theuteck@...>
                      wrote:

                      > ---edit---
                      > --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:
                      > > On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 04:20 am, bil Jeschke wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I have a ATI M9, 9000.
                      > > > 2.6.9 also breaks the nVidia driver, but there is a 1 line hack
                      that can be
                      > > > added to the kernel source to get it working again, but I have
                      not tried
                      > > > this on my other machine yet.
                      > > What is the hack?
                      > >

                      > For Genntoo, emerge sync && emerge nvidia-kernel is supposed to work
                      according to a
                      > post I read.

                      http://ngc891.blogdns.net/index.php?2004/09/21/3-patched-nvidia-drivers
                      someone made
                      > patched nVidia drivers to fix the problem.
                      >
                      > And,
                      http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.9/2.6.9-ck1/patches/nvidia_compat.diff
                      is
                      > a patch for the kernel if you don't wan to load the patched nvidia
                      driver. This guy
                      > is a kernel developer so I am willing to trust the patch on my other
                      box when I get
                      > the time to install 2.6.9.

                      It's been a long time since this thread but I'm having problems with
                      ACPI on a Dell Latitude C840, running kernel 2.6.15 under Debian etch
                      (testing).

                      S4 (suspend to disk) doesn't work (see nvidia driver FAQ) and the URL
                      for the native nvidia driver patch above goes to some guy's blog, but
                      the patch is no longer there.

                      S3 works to a degree. I added 'acpitool -s' to
                      /etc/acpi/actions/lm_lid.sh.

                      If I close the lid while in X, X restores OK but the console tty's are
                      full of crap. (They respond to keystrokes still, but I can't see them.)

                      This is just annoying. But the other problem was that the sound
                      device doesn't wake up. Oh. I just got the bright idea to stop and
                      restart alsa-utils. Now sound works again.

                      I wish I knew how to stop the console tty's from dying. I have these
                      X settings:

                      Section "Device"
                      Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go]"
                      Driver "nvidia"
                      #Option "NoLogo"
                      Option "NvAgp" "1"
                      Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
                      Option "UseInt10Module" "true"
                      Option "PowerSaverHsyncOn"
                      Option "Mobile" "1" #Option "NoBandWidthTest"
                      EndSection

                      Section "Monitor"
                      Identifier "Generic Monitor"
                      HorizSync 75.0 - 75.0
                      VertRefresh 60.0 - 60.0
                      ModeLine "1600x1200" 161.0 1600 1704 1880 2160 1200 1201 1204
                      1242 -hsync -vsync
                      Option "DPMS"
                      EndSection

                      ... and I added these settings to the config files that are used in
                      Debian to build /etc/modules.conf:

                      alias char-major-195 nvidia
                      options nvidia NVregSoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=1

                      This works great at 1600x1200 @24bit. 3D accelleration works fine.
                      The only other thing that doesn't work reliably is fullscreen. Some
                      apps (like Battle for Wesnoth) grab fullscreen without problems. But
                      for other apps (like Scorched3D or BlobWars/Metal Blob Solid), it's
                      weird. An area about 3/4 the size of the screen, aligned top left,
                      contains about the top 95% of what would be on the screen, slightly
                      stretched vertically. Below this is a mirror image of the top of the
                      screen. In the stripe to the right are a bunch of multicolored
                      vertical lines and noise. Anyone have any ideas?

                      Well, I hope this is helpful to someone. All in all I'm pretty
                      pleased with this great refurbished Ebay deal. :-)

                      Mark
                    • Mark Hedges
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 13 9:45 AM
                        > Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:56:43 -0000
                        > From: "mhedges333" <hedges@...>
                        > Subject: Re: 2.6.15 & acpi S3 on Latitude C840
                        >

                        > I wish I knew how to stop the console tty's from dying. I have these
                        > X settings:

                        > This works great at 1600x1200 @24bit. 3D accelleration works fine.

                        Oh, "for the record," the other thing was that I had to load the
                        nvidia_agp driver first, then the proprietary nvidia driver.
                        The plain Linux AGP driver makes 3D accelleration choppy.

                        But I can't figure out how to use the nvidia_fb framebuffer
                        driver on the console with this arrangement, it doesn't do
                        anything when it loads afterward, and if it loads first, the
                        proprietary nvidia driver won't.

                        Mark
                      • Mark Hedges
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 2, 2006
                          On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Mark Hedges wrote:
                          > > Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 21:56:43 -0000
                          > > From: "mhedges333" <hedges@...>
                          > > Subject: Re: 2.6.15 & acpi S3 on Latitude C840
                          > >

                          > > I wish I knew how to stop the console tty's from dying. I have these
                          > > X settings:

                          > > This works great at 1600x1200 @24bit. 3D accelleration works fine.
                          >
                          > Oh, "for the record," the other thing was that I had to load the
                          > nvidia_agp driver first, then the proprietary nvidia driver.
                          > The plain Linux AGP driver makes 3D accelleration choppy.
                          >
                          > But I can't figure out how to use the nvidia_fb framebuffer
                          > driver on the console with this arrangement, it doesn't do
                          > anything when it loads afterward, and if it loads first, the
                          > proprietary nvidia driver won't.

                          FYI a recent release of a new NVidia driver came down the pipe
                          into Debian testing. All the old nvidia-glx* and nvidia-kernel*
                          packages have been renamed to nvidia-*-legacy and the new ones,
                          you guessed it, don't work, at least not for me. I did manage
                          to get the screen to work eventually, but ACPI was broken and
                          the screen device wouldn't power down for S3 suspend-to-ram
                          (the only state that worked previously... hmm, didn't try S4.)

                          I had reinstalled the laptop to Debian testing when everything
                          broke down. I had to reinstall stable (sarge) with 2.6.9 and it
                          works fine again. But now I can't play TORCS. :-(

                          Incidentally, the nvidia kernel binary wasn't available so I had
                          to recompile 2.6.9 and build the driver. I recompiled 2.6.9 without
                          the linux AGP or the built-in nvidia AGP drivers. This was a better
                          solution, because apparently the nvidia driver has its own full AGP
                          driver that is enabled with the NvAgp X flag.

                          Section "Device"
                          Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 440 Go]"
                          Driver "nvidia"
                          #Option "NoLogo"
                          Option "NvAgp" "1"
                          Option "IgnoreEDID" "true"
                          Option "UseInt10Module" "true"
                          Option "PowerSaverHsyncOn"
                          Option "Mobile" "1"
                          #Option "NoBandWidthTest"
                          EndSection

                          Section "Monitor"
                          Identifier "Generic Monitor"
                          HorizSync 75-75
                          VertRefresh 60-60
                          ModeLine "1600x1200" 161.0 1600 1704 1880 2160 1200 1201 1204 1242 -hsync -vsync
                          Option "DPMS"
                          EndSection

                          1600x1200 is the only available resolution.

                          /etc/modutils/nvidia* (modprobe) options:

                          options nvidia NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=1

                          (Because the LCD monitor does not have a working EDID.)

                          HTH - YMMV

                          Mark