upgrading Inspiron wireless

  • Dan Christensen
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 18, 2004
      Is it possible to upgrade the built-in wireless card on an Inspiron
      4150 (currently a TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card) to a card that
      supports the newer 55Mbs standard? Any recommendations/advice?

      Thanks,

      Dan
    • [Lx]-=Mystify=-
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 19, 2004
        Am Monday, 18. October 2004 18:10 schrieb Dan Christensen:
        > Is it possible to upgrade the built-in wireless card on an Inspiron
        > 4150 (currently a TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card) to a card that
        > supports the newer 55Mbs standard? Any recommendations/advice?
        take a look into your manual...
        in the i8500 manual is an explanation who to change/upgrade miniPCI devices...
        that's how the wireless card in the i8500 is integrated...

        mfg
        OR
      • jankorel
        Message 3 of 5 , May 23, 2005
          --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Dan Christensen <jdc@u...>
          wrote:
          > Is it possible to upgrade the built-in wireless card on an Inspiron
          > 4150 (currently a TrueMobile 1150 Series PC Card) to a card that
          > supports the newer 55Mbs standard? Any recommendations/advice?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Dan

          There's an update driver for the Truemobile 1150 available.
          Check the Dell site --> after intall its a 802.11g (54Mb/s)

          I have the Truemobile 1300 Mini-PCI card and it works fine at 54Mb/s

          Jan
        • Dan Christensen
          Message 4 of 5 , May 23, 2005
            jankorel <adz.cleaner@...> writes:

            > There's an update driver for the Truemobile 1150 available.
            > Check the Dell site --> after intall its a 802.11g (54Mb/s)

            Are you sure? I couldn't find anything like this on the dell site.

            > I have the Truemobile 1300 Mini-PCI card and it works fine at 54Mb/s

            That card was presumably manufactured to work at 54Mbs. Are
            you sure the 1150 can be made to do so?

            Dan
          • jankorel
            Message 5 of 5 , May 24, 2005
              wrote:
              > jankorel <adz.cleaner@g...> writes:
              >
              > > There's an update driver for the Truemobile 1150 available.
              > > Check the Dell site --> after intall its a 802.11g (54Mb/s)
              >
              > Are you sure? I couldn't find anything like this on the dell site.
              >
              > > I have the Truemobile 1300 Mini-PCI card and it works fine at 54Mb/s
              >
              > That card was presumably manufactured to work at 54Mbs. Are
              > you sure the 1150 can be made to do so?
              >
              > Dan

              Now, you make me doubt...

              My 1300 worked before on 11 Mb/s (802.11b) and after the driver update
              it was suddenly working on 54 Mb/s (802.11g).

              So i'm pretty sure of that, but if you say that the 1300 card was
              presumably manufactured to work at 54Mb/s...i'm not so sure anymore, I
              assumed it.. (sorry)

              I will checked it....

              Jan