no idescsi CDROM, no PCMCIA: can I read your 2.4.0 .config?

  • jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2001
      I just got a 5000e, running 2.4.0 with X4.0.2 installed over Mandrake
      7.2. Fun! But after upgrading to 2.4.0 (which I needed to do to make
      X4.0.2 happy), I can't seem to get my CDROM working in IDE-SCSI
      emulation mode, nor can I configure my Xircom tulip-like PCMCIA
      ethernet card.

      Can someone using 2.4.0 post their kernel .config so I can work out
      which knobs I turned incorrectly? I based my configuration on the
      .config that comes in the Mandrake 2.2.17 kernel source rpm, but
      apparently that wasn't enough.

      Thanks much,

      --Jon
    • jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2001
        I've fixed my CDROM problem -- it turned out not to be the kernel at
        all, but that I needed a statement in modules.conf telling the ide
        driver to ignore hdc, so that the ide-scsi emulation code could get at
        it. (The symptom was that CDROMs would *try* to mount through the SCSI
        driver, but get I/O errors; this is with hdc=ide-scsi as a kernel
        argument.)

        I'm still stumped on the PCMCIA/Xircom Tulip problem. The card manager
        still sees my card as an "Anonymous Memory" card. I'm fairly convinced
        that some file in the pcmcia config or in modules.conf has not loaded
        the right module in the right order to ensure that the card is
        correctly identified, but I can't figure out what. I'll keep digging
        through the PCMCIA HOWTO, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'll be
        glad to hear them.

        Thanks,
        --Jon
      • Zach Loafman
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 30, 2001
          jonh@... writes:

          > I'm still stumped on the PCMCIA/Xircom Tulip problem. The card manager
          > still sees my card as an "Anonymous Memory" card. I'm fairly convinced

          Have you tried the standalone modules? I had trouble with
          xircom_tulip_cb.o in the kernel (in 2.4.0), but I turned off all the
          pcmcia modules in the kernel and compiled the pcmcia-cs stuff against
          my 2.4.0 kernel and everything was beautiful.

          --
          Zachary M. Loafman
        • David Rodriguez
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2001
            On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 07:02:47PM -0000, jonh@... wrote:
            > I'm still stumped on the PCMCIA/Xircom Tulip problem. The card manager
            > still sees my card as an "Anonymous Memory" card. I'm fairly convinced
            > that some file in the pcmcia config or in modules.conf has not loaded
            > the right module in the right order to ensure that the card is
            > correctly identified, but I can't figure out what. I'll keep digging
            > through the PCMCIA HOWTO, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'll be
            > glad to hear them.

            Have you tried to see what /sbin/dump_cis says?

            David

            P.S. What advantages does scsi-emulation have over the ide driver?
          • jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2001

              David Rodriguez <dibeas@i...> wrote:
              > Have you tried to see what /sbin/dump_cis says?
              No, I'll look at that tonight.

              > P.S. What advantages does scsi-emulation have over the ide driver?
              It lets cdrecord see the -R and -RW features of the drive.

              Zach Loafman <zml@z...> wrote:
              > Have you tried the standalone modules? I had trouble with
              > xircom_tulip_cb.o in the kernel (in 2.4.0), but I turned off all the
              > pcmcia modules in the kernel and compiled the pcmcia-cs stuff
              > against my 2.4.0 kernel and everything was beautiful.
              Yes -- I set all of the pcmcia options to 'm', built a completely
              fresh kernel (from mrproper -- I learned to stash away my .config the
              first time :v), and built and installed a fresh pcmcia-cs-3.1.24.

              If it's convenient, please post your 2.4.0 .config. (I'll try to post
              mine, but of course without a NIC on that box, it's tricky. :v) I'll
              also try David's suggestion.

              Thanks all,

              --Jon
            • jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
                > > > I'm still stumped on the PCMCIA/Xircom Tulip problem. The card
                > manager
                > > > still sees my card as an "Anonymous Memory" card.
                > David Rodriguez <dibeas@i...> wrote:
                > > Have you tried to see what /sbin/dump_cis says?
                > No, I'll look at that tonight.
                I tried /sbin/dump_cis. Under 2.2.17 (where the pcmcia card works
                fine), it describes the card (in slot 1) pretty reasonably. Under
                2.4.0, it says both slots are empty. (Especially odd, since during
                boot, cs tries to load "memory_cs", the module for Anonymous Memory.)

                I suspect I just have to add a configuration to get the right PCMCIA
                module's attention, but I'm not sure where to start. Back to the
                HOWTO...

                In other news, I tried the bios upgrade from TuxTops (since I was
                still within my 30-day money-back guarantee period :v). It worked
                fine, but you should have seen the look on my face when the mandrake
                hardware reconfiguration screen came up and said, "The following
                hardware has been removed from your system: ATI Mobility Pro AGP/2X,
                Maestro 2ESS..." :v) Happily, the next screen reported that the same
                hardware had also been added, so apparently the new bios just moved
                them around. Whew!

                --Jon
              • jonh@cs.dartmouth.edu
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
                  My friend and I just spent an exciting evening debugging the PCMCIA
                  problem. The symptom: my Xircom card kept appearing as "Anonymous
                  memory" when booting in 2.4.0, but the 2.2.17-based config that came
                  with Mandrake worked great. What's up with that?

                  It came down to kernel config. My first try was CONFIG_PCMCIA=y. I
                  read that maybe the in-kernel PCMCIA support in 2.4.0 was flaky, so I
                  set it down to CONFIG_PCMCIA=m, and figured I'd be getting the modules
                  from pcmcia-cs-3.1.24. The short answer was that with CONFIG_PCMCIA=m,
                  the kernel was supplying (year-old) PCMCIA modules, and pcmcia-cs was
                  happily ignoring the ones it came with. The solution is to set
                  CONFIG_PCMCIA=n (and make oldconfig in the kernel directory to tidy up
                  the rest of the config file), and then remake the pcmcia-cs stuff.

                  Here are the longer details, to provide search fodder for the next
                  poor slob to hit this problem.

                  Here were the messages that I'd get that were clearly wrong:

                  Feb 2 22:05:46 eustace cardmgr[1718]: socket 1: Anonymous Memory
                  Feb 2 22:05:46 eustace cardmgr[1718]: executing: 'modprobe memory_cs'
                  Feb 2 22:05:46 eustace cardmgr[1718]: + modprobe: Can't locate module
                  memory_cs

                  But the real trouble was this:

                  Feb 2 22:05:42 eustace kernel: Intel PCIC probe:
                  Feb 2 22:05:42 eustace kernel: Intel i82365sl DF ISA-to-PCMCIA at
                  port 0x3e0 ofs 0x00, 2 sockets
                  Feb 2 22:05:42 eustace kernel: host opts [0]: none
                  Feb 2 22:05:42 eustace kernel: host opts [1]:
                  none

                  When booting on my old 2.2.17-mdk kernel, I'd see something more like
                  this (this one is actually on my new 2.4.0 kernel):

                  Feb 2 22:44:25 eustace kernel: Intel PCIC probe: PCI: Found IRQ 11
                  for device 00:04.0
                  Feb 2 22:44:25 eustace kernel: TI 1225 rev 01 PCI-to-CardBus at
                  slot 00:04, mem 0x10000000
                  Feb 2 22:44:25 eustace kernel: host opts [0]: [ring] [serial pci
                  & irq] [pci irq 11] [lat 168/32] [bus 2/5]
                  Feb 2 22:44:25 eustace kernel: host opts [1]: [ring] [serial pci
                  & irq] [pci irq 11] [lat 168/32] [bus
                  6/9]

                  Notice that the correct modules more accurately recognize the host
                  adaptor as a TI1225, not a generic form of i82365. After poking around
                  in the pcmcia-cs-3.1.24/modules source files, I noticed that the TI
                  1225 string should appear in the i82365.o module if the module is
                  prepared to recognize the chip. Indeed, a 'strings' on
                  /lib/modules/2.2.17-mdk/pcmcia/i82365.o showed a 'TI 1225' line, and
                  the same strings on .../2.4.0/pcmcia/i82365.o showed the line missing.
                  From there, the only remaining detective work was to realize that the
                  2.4.0 module was coming from the in-kernel pcmcia sources, and to
                  notice that the version info in the kernel's i82365.c was dated in
                  1999.

                  On to IR, or whatever else is still broken. :v)

                  --Jon