Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Running from windows

  • bil Jeschke
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2004
      I used the beta version of Debian sarge on my D600 and it works great. If you feel
      like the taking the Debian plunge the new installer is not as bad as the old one. ;)

      The default kernel in most distros has most everything as a module so it should
      work. My Broadcom 10/100/1000 NIC was detected and configured, but the ipw2200
      Centrino I had to download and compile myself.

      Ooo, they have the USB installers listed now.

      --- dadude200fo <dadude200fo@...> wrote:

      > greetings all. Inherited dell 8000, removed win me planning to
      > install linux. Which version is best suited for dell notebook? where
      > do i find the driver information, and will i have wireless
      > capabilities? Thanks

      =====
      I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity
      All are Welcome to My Domain
      Good to See you again!

      http://vote.yahoo.com
    • dadude200fo
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 14, 2004
        Thanks alex i have elected to install fedora distro.

        --- In linux-dell-laptops@yahoogroups.com, Alexandre Tessier
        <Alexandre.Tessier@l...> wrote:
        > dadude200fo wrote:
        > >
        > > greetings all. Inherited dell 8000, removed win me planning to
        > > install linux. Which version is best suited for dell notebook?
        where
        > > do i find the driver information, and will i have wireless
        > > capabilities? Thanks
        >
        > If you search in the archive you will see that many distributions
        are
        > used: Mandrake, Fedora, Slackware, Gentoo...
        >
        > The main proprietary driver you will need is for the video card:
        either