Anybody has Experience with an IDE to USB 2.0 External Drive?

  • Cesáreo
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 9, 2004
      Hello !

      My Inspiron 8000 had a cold water glass through his keyboard, hard
      drive, mother board and so on where it had turned on. So, sadly, It
      have left me forever. The only thing I can recover it's the 2,5''
      Hard Drive of 48 GB

      For That, I bought an IDE to USB converter with an aluminium case that
      allows me using it as an external drive.

      I'd like to know if I can use it with linux in my future Inspiron
      8600c and if anybody has some experience, guide or how-to about this.

      Thank you.

      Cesáreo
    • Paul Gratz
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 9, 2004
        Yeah those ide-usb converters work fine with the usb-storage driver.
        I've used one my self often.
        Paul

        On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 09:38, Cesáreo wrote:
        > Hello !
        >

        > My Inspiron 8000 had a cold water glass through his keyboard, hard
        > drive, mother board and so on where it had turned on. So, sadly, It
        > have left me forever. The only thing I can recover it's the 2,5''
        > Hard Drive of 48 GB
        >
        > For That, I bought an IDE to USB converter with an aluminium case that
        > allows me using it as an external drive.
        >
        > I'd like to know if I can use it with linux in my future Inspiron
        > 8600c and if anybody has some experience, guide or how-to about this.
        >
        > Thank you.
        >
        > Cesáreo

      • bil Jeschke
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 9, 2004
          It should act just like a usb flash drive, so it is just a matter of adding it to
          your fstab.

          --- Ces�reo <cesareogarciarodicio@...> wrote:

          > Hello !
          >

          > My Inspiron 8000 had a cold water glass through his keyboard, hard
          > drive, mother board and so on where it had turned on. So, sadly, It
          > have left me forever. The only thing I can recover it's the 2,5''
          > Hard Drive of 48 GB
          >
          > For That, I bought an IDE to USB converter with an aluminium case that
          > allows me using it as an external drive.
          >
          > I'd like to know if I can use it with linux in my future Inspiron
          > 8600c and if anybody has some experience, guide or how-to about this.
          >
          > Thank you.
          >
          > Ces�reo

          =====
          I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity