Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Re: XFree86 on a Dell Inspiron 8000

  • ken
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 4, 2004
      Alexandre Tessier wrote:

      >I started Linux in 1993 and I remember when it was necessary to
      >hand-edit modelines and how happy I was when after hours I can see X11
      >on my screen! My PC was like a Sun. I remember I also wrote with a
      >friend a program (using constraint logic programming) to compute the
      >timings, dotclock... according to the possibilities of the video card
      >and the screen (but it did not always work).
      >
      >I said your Modes was not a Modeline because I thought that the Modes of
      >the Display section was just a reference to a Mode or Modeline of the
      >Monitor section. Maybe I'm wrong, I've not used it for several years.
      >Sorry. I agree with you for the rest.
      >
      >Alex.

      The point I was originally trying to make to the person who had the
      problem was that, depending upon the version of X used, there may be no
      need for a Modeline. As the documentation cited in my last post
      affirms, newer versions of XF86Config don't need them if the 'monitor'
      is VESA-compliant. You would, however, need a Modes line of the kind I
      included in my original post. (If you disagree with this, take it up
      with the people who wrote the documentation.)

      Secondly, let me say again that (as I see it anyway) the primary purpose
      of this list is to help people solve their problems getting Linux to run
      on their Dell laptops. Reading the rationale (above) for why you
      disagreed with me, I see you didn't understand the point I was making...
      sorry for not making it clearer to you. In view of helping solve the
      original poster's problem, however, there's little reason at this point
      in our discussion to consider your comments anyway.

      So if we could return to the original problem....

      What version of X is being used?

      Is the 'monitor' VESA-compliant?

      Does the person with this problem still have the original XF86Config*
      file(s)?