Re: [linux-dell-laptops] 600M, Want to put display desktop on TV

  • Haedn Thorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 3, 2004
      --- Michael Steven Dacko <michaelsdacko@...>
      wrote:

      > I don't know if this post has come up before, but my
      > question is how
      > do I get my desktop to show up on the TV screen? I
      > realized Dell had
      > some issues with their TV output connections since i
      > found no store
      > that carried the 7-pin S-Video cable, so i ordered
      > it online and
      > finally got it (which comes with a 4-pin svideo
      > connection, composite
      > video and S/PDIF). However, i plug it in and connect
      > a regular S-
      > video 4-pinner on it and then to the TV and
      > nothing..... so i went to
      > Dell.com for some help.... they have the exact
      > article i need on "how
      > to display or play video on my TV from my Dell"
      > except its all based
      > on this ATI video chipset thing.... what the hell is
      > that?
      > Everything i look up on the internet about this
      > issue involves this
      > ATI thing so i went on my laptop and found no such
      > program.
      > Obviously this ATI program is not standard on the
      > Dells. Do I have
      > to go purchase this ATI program to do what I want to
      > do? Or can I
      > just go into my control panel settings and make a
      > few adjustments...?
      > or BIOS or something? Please help! Thanks.

      ATi is the manufacturer of your video chipset. On the
      600m you have the ATi Radeon Mobility 9000, or M9
      (same thing, different nomenclature) Anyhow .. You
      need to either checkout gatos (on sourceforge, iirc)
      or get the ATI proprietary drivers. Dell has the
      propriety drivers at ftp.dell.com ... I haven't
      actually used the TV out myself, but the direction for
      how to do it are in the doc files of the proprietary driver.