Re: [linux-dell-laptops] Setting Up A New HD - Swap

  • bil Jeschke
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 25, 2004
      I just used a knoppix disk to shrink the XP partition and then installed sarge,
      since it was preinstalled. 2.8.1 did not like the centrino or broadcom nics, so I
      used a sarge disk which worked with the broadcom nic which allowed me to download
      the ipw2200 driver. The suspend to disk for XP seems to work fine, unless it was
      doing a suspend to RAM, but then I don't use XP much. :)

      --- mpierce <mpierce@...> wrote:

      > I'm about to install a larger capacity HD (80Gb) for my Dell 8100 which will
      > dual boot, W2K XP Pro and Libranet 2.8.1 (Debian Sarge).
      >
      > As, this will be a clean install, I want to format the drive correctly for
      > enabling suspend to disk and suspend to ram.
      >
      > My I8.1K has 512Mb of ram. I believe it is using bio A12 or A13 (can't be sure
      > at the moment as I use Linux as my primary system with ACPI so the FN+Setup)
      > key is not operational.
      >
      > Need some advice on how to setup the hidden suspend 2 disk partition for
      > Windows prior to tackling this time consuming task.
      >
      > I have Linux backed up with rsync and I'll try to ghost the XP partition using
      > Acronis.
      >
      > Thanks for any help/recommendations in advance.
      >
      > Marvin
      > ---

      =====
      I am the Lord of the Realm of Stupidity