FC3 on Inspiron 2600

  • Justin Georgeson
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2004
      I'm considering setting up Fedora Core 3 (test2) in a dual-boot
      configuration on an Inspiron 2600 and was curious if anyone has any
      tips about it. The one thing I'm expecting is Anaconda possibly
      crashing when starting X and seeing a Fatal IO 104 error from mini-wm.
      Reports suggest a text mode install will work. I've also seen some
      reports that there are some problems with the current i810 driver in
      x.org, and people are seeing problems running any resolution other
      than the display's native (could explain the Anaconda thing...)

      The other thing I'm curious about is power management features. How
      well supported are features like powering down the fan, spinning down
      the hard disk, cpu throttling for heat/power reduction, and s2d? I'm
      sure I could run Dell's mks2d and use the BIOS hibernate function like
      I did with a latitude c400 previously, but it would be nice to have
      something swsusp rolled into the distro instead. (Side question, are
      there any distros that have this packaged already?)