Hi all + strange problem with dvd

  • hermooz
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2004
      First of all, let me introduce myself:

      I've used linux since '96 in several different systems, mostly geared
      toward web sites developing and installation (that's what I do for a
      living, actually).

      I've just recently discovered this list and I jumped right in, since I
      happen to work on an Inspiron 8200 with my brand new Suse 9.1 on ;-)

      I live in Italy and so english is not my first language... please bear
      with me...

      As a baptism of fire for my entree', I'd like to submit this strange
      behaviour to your attention:

      I've used my PC for several months now. When I use it as a test
      development server usually I don't fire up X, and all goes well.
      Recently I've tryed to use it also as a desktop system, and I've
      noticed that if I start the system with KDE up with a CDROM loaded
      into the DVD reader, the system keeps the DVD reader continually
      spinning. There is nothing wrong with the device: I can mount/umount
      it, read from it, both CD and DVD, transfer rate is good, and so on.
      But it never, never stops spinning until I eject the disk!
      Of course it is nothing more than a nuisance (until now I simply
      avoided it by removing CDROMs from the drive as soon as I didn't
      needed them anymore), but I would like to fix it nonetheless.

      Any hint?

      Hear you,
      Fabrizio Ermini